Sony DVP-S550D DVD player

Just a quick note... kind of in humor. I bought this Sony DVP-S550D unit back when DVD players were just hitting and the only way to get DTS was to have a high-end receiver or purchase the player with analogue 5.1 outputs.

I hooked up this Sony again a few weeks ago on my Mitsubishi WS-55813 HDTV and was astounded at how poor the quality was compared to my reference player. I understand it doesnt have progressive scan output - but aside from that the amount of GRAIN in the picture was unbelievable. I truly was surprised at how far the MPEG-decoders have come. This player, once a bargain for only $350, can now be trumped by a $30 progressive scan unit from Apex.

D

dontsleep

Enthusiast
Yeah,its really amazing how far they have come in so little time.
I have a Sony DVP-NS575P $90 at best buy.This player is absolutely incredible for the price.Besides Great sound and picture it has this
"Precision drive 3" feature that has literally brought back to life 10 or more previously "unplayable" dvd's and cd's!
I also had the APEX $40 model and there is no comparison.

R

Reindeer

Audiophyte
A new player to replace my Sony DVP-S550D ?

Hi all,

I have a Sony DVP-S550D that I bought in '99, and it has served me well since that time.
I subscribe to Netflix, and have noticed lately that about 75% of the discs now will not play
or sometime even be recognized in the unit.
I don't have cable and I don't get good reception for broadcast TV, and don't really care for it anyway. I watch movies, but Netflix won't improve their quality control, so...

Any suggestions on a repair or replacement unit?
Does anyone know of a software update to this unit?
I have tried cleaning discs, to no avail. It's a waste of time.
Do lens cleaners really work? I don't want to waste money on something that won't work.
I haven't tried cleaning the lens.
I don't have a HDTV, so I don't need anything fancy.
What I really want is something that will play almost any disc, regardless of abuse.

I have seen Apex noted here.
Do you folks recommend them, and if so, do you have a model that you would recommend
for a very budget conscious consumer?

Thanks for any replies.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I have a similar model the DVP-S530D.. its picture is still great on my 32 inch trinitron. The player has the famed lip sync and power on problem, that sony had a class action lawsuit for. Last year i received a letter from sony about the law suit, and got a $40 check from sony because of it :) .

I bought it back in 1999 and was the second dvd player i owned. I had originally bought a JVC unit, but it had serious problems with some discs so i packed it up and returned it to best buy for credit (originally purchased from J & R :D ) and got the sony.

I have the secret code that tells use how many hours on the CD and DVD lasers.. pretty cool. I have checked it in a long time, but surpisingly it wasnt that high. I wish the player would die so i could replace it, but its still working great.

I really love the sony s-link system. Everything powers up and goes to the currect input when i hit play on the remote or front panel button. Also i love how i have full menu control from the front panel. Sometimes i like to stand at the player and get it to the right option and hit play then sit down. The really dont make them like they used to!

On rare occasion when i do have the lip sync problem or recurrent audio drops, i just hit stop and play and its all fine. Navigation is quite fast for a 9 yr old player

Its never been hooked up to a high def tv, so i am sure it would look like crap if it was. But on a 480i tv it looks great.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Hi all,
Any suggestions on a repair or replacement unit?
Replace; it's old and repairing it (unless your sentimental) is not worth the time and effort. I like my PS3 for DVD upscaling better than my HD-A2, although you could get an Oppo which will have good performance for relatively little money.
Does anyone know of a software update to this unit?
Nope
I have tried cleaning discs, to no avail. It's a waste of time.
Typically, it's easier and cheap to give a disk a quick clean. But nothing is working... it's the player or the disc.
Do lens cleaners really work? I don't want to waste money on something that won't work.
They work if there is dust inside and you don't like taking things apart. You should have one anyways and play it through everything once a year or so.
I haven't tried cleaning the lens.
Always a good start; cotton swab and alcohol.
I don't have a HDTV, so I don't need anything fancy.
Probably an Oppo or a cheap Sony; my last DVD player was a Sony. $60 and reads scratched discs pretty well.
What I really want is something that will play almost any disc, regardless of abuse.

I have seen Apex noted here.
Do you folks recommend them, and if so, do you have a model that you would recommend
for a very budget conscious consumer?
Apex if you cannot afford anything else.

Thanks for any replies.
(filler needed to post message)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis