Sony does it again!

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
I recently purchased Resident Evil Extinction on dvd, played fine in my dvd player, but when I went to make a backup copy so the kids could watch it up in their bedroom, my dvd burner wouldn't even read the disk. So I looked it up on the internet, and found quite a few articles about it. It seems the biggest joke is on sony themselves as the new disks won't even play on some of their own dvd players.....

http://consumerist.com/consumer/sony/sony-recalls-broken-drm+filled-dvds-253470.php

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
.....to top it all off, 24 hours later my firewall blocks an outgoing attempt from a sony rootkit.........

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
.....to top it all off, 24 hours later my firewall blocks an outgoing attempt from a sony rootkit.........
Jezzzzzzzzz. You should sue them.....
seriously
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

There are some root-kit detectors from sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com) that may possibly reomve this, but this may be ugly stuff to get rid of....

There are some things you ay do to the setup of the system to totally avoid this, change file protections, run all multimedia on unprivileged user, and some more, but this takes a lot of windows knowledge to do....

I could possibly write a guid to this, but it would take me a lot of time....

Before switching to Linux I ran all my Internet Explorer stuff from an unprivileged user with no write access to any disks or folders, other than one given folder of my choice. This also has the effect that it basically prohibits virus attacks true IE. (not quite, but almost)
Tricky to setup, but it works

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis