Sony Denon handshake

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Can someone please look at these photos for any errors? I have spent Lierally 10 of the last 24 hours with, Sony, directv, and Denon reset tv and stereo. Denon is advising I send the unit in for repair of a bad ARC switch.
I have been through every page, setting, switch of the Denon and Sony, clicked everything I could click, yet the problem persists. All cables have been replace with monoprice premium high speed with Ethernet.
tv is connected with hdmi to receiver, fire stick connected directly to receiver, directv to the receiver also

Can someone please look at this picture and tell me if my inputs are set correctly?

Attachments

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I am going for a walk before I have a heart attack or stroke. If I die it won’t be Covid, It will be Sony/ Denon. Thanks.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What is the issue you are having, exactly? Are all of your devices on their latest firmware? Are you using the TV's built-in apps at all? If you are not using them and HDMI-CEC(Bravia Sync) is driving you crazy, turn it off. You can still use eARC, provided the Denon is up to date, and not deal with ARC as HDMI-CEC(Bravia Sync) needs to be on to activate ARC but does not need to be on to use eARC.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
1. In setup menu on TV Sony will not configure receiver or directv box.
2. while watching tv if I switch to an app on the tv, theDirectv box turns off.When I switch back to television, the Directv box does not turn on, we have to: select a preset on the demon remote, or the select button on the Directv remote to switch the input back.
3. Right now, if I use the Directv remote, the system powers on and goes through the paces Without incident. If I use any other remote I get an error message that says “no input, check cable or input selection.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
1. In setup menu on TV Sony will not configure receiver or directv box.
2. while watching tv if I switch to an app on the tv, theDirectv box turns off.When I switch back to television, the Directv box does not turn on, we have to: select a preset on the demon remote, or the select button on the Directv remote to switch the input back.
3. Right now, if I use the Directv remote, the system powers on and goes through the paces Without incident. If I use any other remote I get an error message that says “no input, check cable or input selection.
For some reason I want the system to work as it should. looking Around the Internet this appears to be a common problem, usually satisfied with hacks and work arounds.
for some reason I have decided to die on this hill, instead of just installing a digital audio cable.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI-CEC can be a nightmare and some cable/sat boxes don't usually support it or support it well. Given the same equipment, I'd turn HDMI-CEC off and use the Denon's universal remote control function to control ALL of the devices and avoid silly device switching and power cycles when using HDMI-CEC. Getting audio back with eARC should still work with the proper setting. It all should just work, but it never has and probably never will work perfectly for every device all of the time, ever. I am enjoying a good day with my setup. Using the TV remote control, I can select the desired source device and the receiver will switch to it without issue. It will also switch back to another source device without issue. You can bet I'll want to yank all of the cables out by dinner time because something will have gone south. It's practically a nightly occurrence.o_O

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I too am going through a saga. I finally am having to NOT use the AVR for HDMI inputs. I instead either plug everything into the tv directly (like your fire stick or cable box) or use the internal tv apps and then use eARC back to the AVR for sound. Thus removing the Denon interface. It works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I am enjoying a good day with my setup.
Man that says it all! reminds me of when I was a younger
man messing around with street cars. held together with spit and bubblegum, but on those rare occasion when it all came together…nirvana.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have not solved any handshake problems, but man did I stumble on the greatest picture ever on this Sony.
My wife told me not to make any more adjustments until AFTER the foot games this weekend!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Found the “Enhanced” format settings?;)
I actually new about that one. I think it has more to do with what I turned off on the tv.
I also am taking your advice about using the Denon universal remote. So far so good.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I loved their universal remote controls. Even with HDMI-CEC and my TV's universal remote control function, which I stopped using, it never was and never is a one remote affair. I liked using the Denon remote controls for everything. Sure, a few more button presses, but far less cursing.:D

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Can someone please look at these photos for any errors? I have spent Lierally 10 of the last 24 hours with, Sony, directv, and Denon reset tv and stereo. Denon is advising I send the unit in for repair of a bad ARC switch.
I have been through every page, setting, switch of the Denon and Sony, clicked everything I could click, yet the problem persists. All cables have been replace with monoprice premium high speed with Ethernet.
tv is connected with hdmi to receiver, fire stick connected directly to receiver, directv to the receiver also

Can someone please look at this picture and tell me if my inputs are set correctly?
First thing I would do is eliminate everything in the receiver and just have the TV eARC port going to the AVR eARC port. Then see if the TV recognizes the AVR. As well, you'll need to set the TV output from TV to AVR or external.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
First thing I would do is eliminate everything in the receiver and just have the TV eARC port going to the AVR eARC port. Then see if the TV recognizes the AVR. As well, you'll need to set the TV output from TV to AVR or external.
Do you mean eliminate via controls/switches or physically disconnect everything but the tv?

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Yes, disconnect everything except the TV from the receiver The Sony should then only recognize the AVR on eARC. Once you get that you should get TV audio thru the AVR.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I too am going through a saga. I finally am having to NOT use the AVR for HDMI inputs. I instead either plug everything into the tv directly (like your fire stick or cable box) or use the internal tv apps and then use eARC back to the AVR for sound. Thus removing the Denon interface. It works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is there a downside to running everything through the tv instead of the AVR?

For one glorious hour late Friday night, I actually saw Dolby digital plus as an option while watching a movie on DIRECTV from HBO. It was great.

Alas, I have not been able to duplicate this phenomenon.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI ports are limited on TVs and one will not be able to display AVR menus over content and will need to switch to the TV’s eARC port every time one needs to use the TV screen to adjust AVR settings. This will leave just three free ports on the TV in many cases.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis