SONY D550Z receiver problem

L

layman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Receiver's audio output is very badly distorted with lot of static noice - in all channels. It is worse when I play DVD or VHS tapes, especially music. It got to the point that even dialogs are not clear. Checked with another receiver to make sure that the speakers are ok.
Is it possible to identify and replace the component in the receiver myself? What special tools if any I may need?
I assume that it is all modular construction and I will be able to replace the module or the component that is the culprit.
I am a handyman alright, but as for as audio/video electronics are concerned, I am a layman.
Can some one in the forum help me? Thanks in advance.</font>

D

dr_amx

Audiophyte
layman

I was wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong with you reciever. I now have one with the same problem

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Layman, HT receivers are internally complex eventhough some have plug in modules, the majority of them have quite of few wires soldered onto terminals and unless you have the proper soldering equipment it will be not easy to replace. In my opinion you can forget about fixing your own receiver, unless you have a good experience in troubleshooting these things plus a good dose of HT repairing technics.

If you're getting a sort of crakling sound in the speakers that doesn't go away or gradually get worse as the receiver stays on for a while, there is a good possibility (and it's a very common problem) that your receiver has some leaky sound output IC (integrated circuits) and preamp transistors or chips depending on your receiver causing crackling into your speakers.

Problems like that are easily detected by spraying some aerosol freon (which we call it Freez it) out of a spray can wright on top of the faulty component and if the crackling disappears, you know the component is internally leaky and should be replaced.

I am just speculating that your problem is what I had mentioned above, it could very well be of a different nature, but if you could be a little more specific, we might be able to help you better.

Attachments

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis