Sony Apologizes for OtherOS Removal

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Sony Apologizes for OtherOS Removal
04/09/2010 Written by Dan Massi

March 28th may have been a bad day for PlayStation 3 owners using Linux on their console. Via the US PlayStation Blog, it was revealed that OtherOS, a feature that would allow users to install the Linux operating system, would be removed, due to security reasons. An outrage from PS3 owners quickly spawned, some even demanding legal action. With all the backlash, it’s only appropriate to see Sony finally make a response.

Gadget website THINQ recently send an email to Sony UK, asking them to give a response to the PS3 community, specifically the owners who used the OtherOS feature. A Sony spokesperson kindly answered them.

We are sorry if users of Linux or other operating systems are disappointed by our decision to issue a firmware upgrade which when installed disables this operating system feature. We have made the decision to protect the integrity of the console and whilst mindful of the impact on Linux or other operating system users we nevertheless felt it would be in the best interests of the majority of users to pursue this course of action.
As you will be aware we have upgraded and enhanced functionality and features of the console by numerous firmware upgrades over time and this is a very rare instance where a feature will be disabled. Further enhancements are in the pipeline.
Users do have the choice whether to install the firmware upgrade and this is clearly explained to them at the time the firmware upgrade is made available for installation. Furthermore our terms and conditions clearly state that we have the right to revise the PS3’s settings and features in order to prevent access to unauthorized or pirated content.

[Source]

Via: PlayStation LifeStyle

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's really not an apology, true apologies come off as being sincere. That's more of a statement of "why" they chose to remove the otherOS feature with a reminder or the user agreement and TOS. Basically it's a politely worded "piss off" response.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
That is true, at least they didn't pull the usual tactic of no response at all then again that might have been better.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
That's really not an apology, true apologies come off as being sincere. That's more of a statement of "why" they chose to remove the otherOS feature with a reminder or the user agreement and TOS. Basically it's a politely worded "piss off" response.
really? the first words of the release are "we are sorry"? just because they follow it up with an explanation of why they did it doesn't make it less of an apology, does it? did you really expect them to say "well, we really f'd this up this time"?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

really? the first words of the release are "we are sorry"? just because they follow it up with an explanation of why they did it doesn't make it less of an apology, does it? did you really expect them to say "well, we really f'd this up this time"?
I'm sorry my post made you feel that way. Sony has been pretty open about removing the otherOS feature because a hacker managed to crack their code and they want to protect themselves from piracy. The same hacker now claims to have made a hack to keep the otherOS feature active while taking the latest update and still being able to log into Sony's network. This makes removing the feature unnecessary as now hackers may be able use pirated media and still connect to Sony's network, effectively making the loss of the feature only affect honest users.

;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sorry my post made you feel that way. Sony has been pretty open about removing the otherOS feature because a hacker managed to crack their code and they want to protect themselves from piracy. The same hacker now claims to have made a hack to keep the otherOS feature active while taking the latest update and still being able to log into Sony's network. This makes removing the feature unnecessary as now hackers may be able use pirated media and still connect to Sony's network, effectively making the loss of the feature only affect honest users.

;)
Instead of making a firmware change why not prosecute the guy who did the hack to clearly promote piracy. Give me a room, a sock and a grapefruit. I can guarantee you the hacker will change his mind when I'm done. If you steal software you are stealing from me. I don't take kindly to it.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Instead of making a firmware change why not prosecute the guy who did the hack to clearly promote piracy. Give me a room, a sock and a grapefruit. I can guarantee you the hacker will change his mind when I'm done. If you steal software you are stealing from me. I don't take kindly to it.
Sorry, I have found everything on your list but not the grapefruit can you use a watermelon instead?:eek::D

G.Hotz has made his work around, Sony's next move might be something like what MS has done and ban the console in question.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic

;)
yep, i know. and i do understand why people like you and others would be PO'd, especially as sony used to trumpet their otherOS. just didn't really get the part about it not being a proper apology. do feel your pain though. has anyone heard if the govt./healthcare/university's/etc. who have been using them as supercomputers are exempt? i realize they don't have to download the update, but in the future non-updated ps3's will get harder to find.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If Sony needed some milk, they didn't had to kill whole cow to extract it later.
If it had a security issue with their hypervisor they should have fixed them, not killing access to it. They choose easy way out and they paid with bad publicity again...

Is removal of OtherOS will affect a lot of people? I doubt it, but loosing "brand points" is something sony can't really afford now-days, then LG/Samsung breathing heavily onto their back....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, I have found everything on your list but not the grapefruit can you use a watermelon instead?:eek::D

G.Hotz has made his work around, Sony's next move might be something like what MS has done and ban the console in question.
Watermelons aren't dense enough. An Orange can work too, but you really get more leverage with a grapefruit.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

yep, i know. and i do understand why people like you and others would be PO'd, especially as sony used to trumpet their otherOS. just didn't really get the part about it not being a proper apology. do feel your pain though. has anyone heard if the govt./healthcare/university's/etc. who have been using them as supercomputers are exempt? i realize they don't have to download the update, but in the future non-updated ps3's will get harder to find.
I've never used the feature and most likely never would have. But I actually liked the fact that it was there and had casually (extremely casually) considered using it for a few different purposes before. The line that really rubs me the wrong way is the one where they say removing the feature "would be in the best interests of the majority of users." The only interests they are concerned with are their potential losses to piracy (a legitimate concern).

There is absolutely no benefit to me and other honest users from Sony removing the otherOS feature from our systems. To try to make it sound like they are doing me or their other users a favor while they are only looking out for their own financial interests is an insult to my intelligence and pretty insincere, regardless of how politely they choose open their response.

TheJuggernaut

TheJuggernaut

Audiophyte
True, but the problem is that they'll get away with it. Massive company, massive bankroll, minuscule interest in what the consumers actually think.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis