Sony A/V component hookup

S

scott1598

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I just want to know the best hookup for some components I have..
if someone can answer here i would appreciate, but i will understand if not appropriate forum..
basically,
i have Sony KV-27FV300 tv, Sony HT-1700D (home theater with dvd player and A/V reciever). &nbsp;What I want to know is:
the tv has Component Video(Y,PB,PR)Input hookup as does Dvd player. &nbsp;The Sony reciever does not, but has DTS and Pro Logic Dolby decoding so I want to have Dvd player connected to reciever to get decoding feature. &nbsp;What I would like to know is: if I hook up tv to Dvd player using the Y, PB, PR connection will I get a much superior picture quality than if i hook the tv and dvd player to reciever without the Y, PB, PR connection since it does not have? I hope that is clear. &nbsp;I just want to know the best possible utilization of all components. &nbsp;If anyone could point me in right direction I would so appreciate it. &nbsp;Thanks.

Scott</font>

<font color='#000000'>You're dealing with two separate issues, and it can get confusing. Let's break it down into:

Video: Run your component VIDEO from your DVD player _to_ your TV's component video input. No need to go through the receiver at all here.

and Audio: Run your DVD digital audio out (coax or optical) into your receiver for proper DTS and DD decoding.

Just switch to the component input onthe TV (or program a macro on the receiver remote) when watching DVD movies.

You may choose to utilize another (S-VHS) input on your TV, or utilize the receiver, to send other video devices to the TV OTHER THAN component.

Make sense?</font>

S

scott1598

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>hawke,
thanks.  so for video you are saying:
1) Y,Pb,Pr connection from tv to dvd player (this will be best possible picture quality)
2) single coaxial connection from dvd player to reciever (this is best possible audio and will utilize all aspects of reciever's decoding, such as dts and all surround sound options through reciever speakers)EDIT**(this coaxial connection TAKES THE PLACE of the red and white audio inputs, correct?) what i did now was have the coaxial connected from reciever to dvd player and red and white audio connected from reciever to dvd player (this connection is simply not needed and probably doing harm, correct?)
3) with all this there would be no need for the connection using the yellow (video), red and white (audio) inputs at all, correct?
4) why do i need to switch component on tv then and not simply have reciever set to dvd option, right now i have set up and all i have to do to tv is switch tv/video button (is that what you meant?)
i think i am understanding more and thanks so much for taking time to help!!

scott</font>

<font color='#000000'>1 - Yes, but I like to think of it in terms of FROM dvd TO tv (note the direction of signal travel).
2 - Yes, no analogue audio (red &amp; white) are needed.
3 - No composite (yellow) needed either, replaced by component video
4 - You do not have component routing n your receiver, so your receiver will switch to DVD audio, but will do nothing for video. The TV must be set to use the component inputs. If you have a cable box, it will need to go into another input on the TV.

PS. If you have the manual for your DVD player, I bet it has a diagram of all this.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis