Sony 2013 Blu-ray Player Lineup

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony released a new set of Blu-ray players for 2013, so here we are comparing the three models in the lineup.

This isn't new news you say. We saw these back in January you say. Well, yeah, that's true. But let's just ignore that fact and pretend that this is the first you have seen these players. Things are better this way.

Read the entire Sony 2013 Blu-ray Player Comparison

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've had an S3100 for months now, and overall, I'm really happy with it. I used to use my PS3 for streaming and DLNA, but the fan noise just grated on me. The S3100 is totally silent (if there's no disc in it) and works great. The Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Instant Video apps aren't as nice as they are on the PS3, but I can live with that. I keep files on a SanDisk Cruzer USB drive (really small), and keep that plugged into the front USB port.

An unexpected bonus is that it will natively play .flv files, even though those aren't listed in the manual.

One nit that I have is that a disc will spin all of the time, regardless of if I'm watching something else. I wish that didn't happen because it's unnecessary noise, power, and mechanical wear.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a really old Sony BDP-S360 player that's still going strong. Lacks everything networking but then again I don't stream. My only complaint is that it takes a good 3 -4 minutes to load a BluRay. It still plays without skipping a beat

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I struggle with the fact that not one of these players has analog audio output. I don't care about 5.1 or 7.1, but basic 2 channel stereo is still required on 99.9% of multi-zone receivers to handle getting audio to a second zone. Whether it is just to listen to a CD in another room, or to allow the audio to be played back through a secondary set of speakers elsewhere, it is not possible with any of these players to make this happen.

Of course, Panasonic did the same with their newest 230 BD player while last years 220 had the analog audio outputs.

Just means I've got to go buy a HDMI audio extractor... which sucks to need to do.

saywhat

saywhat

Enthusiast
Has the bdps790 and loves it. Plays my sacd's just fine and has dual hdmi out which I like for better audio and video.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I struggle with the fact that not one of these players has analog audio output. I don't care about 5.1 or 7.1, but basic 2 channel stereo is still required on 99.9% of multi-zone receivers to handle getting audio to a second zone. Whether it is just to listen to a CD in another room, or to allow the audio to be played back through a secondary set of speakers elsewhere, it is not possible with any of these players to make this happen.

Of course, Panasonic did the same with their newest 230 BD player while last years 220 had the analog audio outputs.

Just means I've got to go buy a HDMI audio extractor... which sucks to need to do.
That does suck and I hadn't noticed it. I need a replacement for my BD65 and figured I would get a Panny BDT220 but it is discontinued and now that the 230 doesn't have analog, I am not sure if it will work for me since the system it will go in is stereo only and no HDMI.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis