Sonos Connect Optionality

S

STXmiddy4

Audiophyte
I currently have a few Sonos placed throughout the house and want to add my current stereo to the Sonos ecosystem. I find myself playing music through Sonos due to the convenience and never listening to music on my sound system anymore.

I currently have all of my inputs (Apple TV, Cable box, Playstation) hooked into my Onkyo TX NR709 receiver via HDMI. I am then connecting the receiver to the TV with HDMI - so I am always on a constant input on my TV and using the receiver to select inputs.

If I get a Sonos Connect, I expect to connect it to the receiver via optical cord - allowing me to select a new input in order to listen to that source. In addition, I can use the 3.5mm output on the TV to the analog input on the Sonos to play the selected input through the other Sonos that I have around the house.

The issue that I am trying to tackle is if I want to play music through my entire house with Sonos (including through the stereo attached to the TV), while playing a different video source through the TV. So effectively I need a way on my receiver to use one input source for video and another source for audio. Is there a way to do this with the Onkyo TX NR709 or should I be wiring my system a different way to accomplish all of this?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I currently have a few Sonos placed throughout the house and want to add my current stereo to the Sonos ecosystem. I find myself playing music through Sonos due to the convenience and never listening to music on my sound system anymore.

I currently have all of my inputs (Apple TV, Cable box, Playstation) hooked into my Onkyo TX NR709 receiver via HDMI. I am then connecting the receiver to the TV with HDMI - so I am always on a constant input on my TV and using the receiver to select inputs.

If I get a Sonos Connect, I expect to connect it to the receiver via optical cord - allowing me to select a new input in order to listen to that source. In addition, I can use the 3.5mm output on the TV to the analog input on the Sonos to play the selected input through the other Sonos that I have around the house.

The issue that I am trying to tackle is if I want to play music through my entire house with Sonos (including through the stereo attached to the TV), while playing a different video source through the TV. So effectively I need a way on my receiver to use one input source for video and another source for audio. Is there a way to do this with the Onkyo TX NR709 or should I be wiring my system a different way to accomplish all of this?
Use the Zone 2 output, connect that to the input of the closest Connect and select the AVR as the source wherever you want the music from one of the other inputs to play around the house.

Remember, AVRs look for the Digital source first, when the input is set to Auto. If you have something that might be used as the source for the house frequently and also in the den, like a CD/DVD/BD player, you can connect to an analog input that's not used for an HDMI cable, digital coax or optical.

You shouldn't need to use the 3.5mm output- set the Zone 2 input to whichever source is playing in the room with the TV. As long as the AVR has HDMI pass-through or it can convert Digital to Analog, you just need to set the Source Input to Source.

S

STXmiddy4

Audiophyte
I like the idea of using Zone 2 output of the AVR instead of the output from the TV, I think that will be much cleaner.

I think the main issue is still the situation where I want to hear the sound from the Sonos and see the video from a HDMI Input. I.E. AVR plays sound from Optical Source Input 2 (TV/CD) [Sonos] - which (TV/CD) HDMI is unused for video - and passes the video from HDMI Input 3 (CBL/SAT) through the HDMI Output.

Is that an option with the Onkyo TX NR709?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I like the idea of using Zone 2 output of the AVR instead of the output from the TV, I think that will be much cleaner.

I think the main issue is still the situation where I want to hear the sound from the Sonos and see the video from a HDMI Input. I.E. AVR plays sound from Optical Source Input 2 (TV/CD) [Sonos] - which (TV/CD) HDMI is unused for video - and passes the video from HDMI Input 3 (CBL/SAT) through the HDMI Output.

Is that an option with the Onkyo TX NR709?
I don't sell Onkyo, but if you look in the menu, you may have a button for 'Source Input'. It may also have an Option button, which may allow you to choose the video source. Look for the Source Input when you're using the input for Sonos- each should be separately controlled.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis