Sonos Ace headphones

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Just received the Sonos Ace headphones. They are the best sounding noise-canceling headphones I’ve heard for music so far. I’ve had 3 pairs of Bose including the latest, Quiet comfort Ultras and the Sony 1000XM5. Listening to music is an excellent experience. They are comfortable on my head and over my ears and I have a big head (insert joke here). The separation of instruments is outstanding for noise-canceling cans, even on complex songs. I will be testing the noise-canceling on an upcoming flight. So far at home testing and on phone calls they are similar to the Bose and Sony. The dynamic head-tracking is very cool. The sound moves around as you move your head. The Sonos app has been having issues with the latest upgrade but you don’t have to run the app to listen to music etc. It’s just for setting adjustments. I need cans I can use for travel, work calls and listening to music. These are the best combination so far IMO. Even better than the Bathys I tried and returned, and $250 less. Please share your experience if you’ve tried a pair.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Just received the Sonos Ace headphones. They are the best sounding noise-canceling headphones I’ve heard for music so far. I’ve had 3 pairs of Bose including the latest, Quiet comfort Ultras and the Sony 1000XM5. Listening to music is an excellent experience. They are comfortable on my head and over my ears and I have a big head (insert joke here). The separation of instruments is outstanding for noise-canceling cans, even on complex songs. I will be testing the noise-canceling on an upcoming flight. So far at home testing and on phone calls they are similar to the Bose and Sony. The dynamic head-tracking is very cool. The sound moves around as you move your head. The Sonos app has been having issues with the latest upgrade but you don’t have to run the app to listen to music etc. It’s just for setting adjustments. I need cans I can use for travel, work calls and listening to music. These are the best combination so far IMO. Even better than the Bathys I tried and returned, and $250 less. Please share your experience if you’ve tried a pair.
Just posted this. Let us know your thoughts about Sonos not including Wi-fi connectivity with their new ACE Headphones.

ACE.jpg

Read: Sono Botches App Refresh, ACE Headphones

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I connect my headphones through Bluetooth to my iPad or iPhones, as I have with all my cans, so it hasn’t been an issue for me. I’m waiting for the updated connection between the cans and the Beam 2, which I have connected to 2 TVs. Only connects to the Arc as of now. Want to check out the atmos effect watching movies. The app has been the biggest challenge. It was fine for years and then the latest update caused issues.

F

floptop

Audiophyte
We will have a comprehensive review once we get more time with these. In a nutshell so far:

Very premium build-quality. They feel solid and their method for adjustment (cups slide up and down post) seems more robust and quality than you see with Sony and Sennheiser. We are comparing them right now to the Sony XM5s. When you initally put the Sonos on your head and then put on the XM5s, my initial thought was "the Sony headphones feel like cardboard". It makes sense when you try both on (and we like the Sonys).

Tight fit: The earcups "attach" very close to the side of the head, providing sort of a "locked in" feeling. If you like the feeling of being immersed in the listening content, this can be a good thing. If you are giant head guy (I am giant head guy), this might be too tight for you. Sonos claims that these fit 95% of heads. Head the size of an orange or a watermelon? Too bad.

One touch soundbar sync: This feature with Sonos soundbars (currently just the Arc but future firmware will include the Beam and Ray) makes it easy for the tech-averse to "zap" music from their soundbar to the headphones. Many people aren't comfortable with going into Bluetooth settings, turning things on/off, pairing, etc. and this feature will be good for Sonos clients that aren't comfortable with these adjustments.

Good noise-cancelling: These do a very good job in getting rid of external noise. So far we'd say the Sony and Sonos are comparable in this realm.

We will probably have a few more shorts prior to our main review on these. Part 1 below.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis