So - What speakers were in the wall?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just throwing out a question that may or may not have a solid answer, but I am dealing with a existing home theater and I'm trying to find out what speakers may have been in the wall of the existing space. The opening at all 7 speaker locations (large theater) is 11" wide by 28" tall. I'm not sure I've run into in-wall speakers that are so large overall at this point. I'm looking to put in some Monoprice THX-265IW units, but I want a point of reference of what was likely in there before.

I know there are some companies that actually make high-end in-walls. Triad for example (I'm 99% sure they were not Triads). Martin Logan makes some really high end ones as well, but their Tribute 5XW doesn't appear to be the right size (too large!)... it comes close though.

Any thoughts on what may have been in the 11x28 inch openings?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Silly-ish idea... but Tekton has done in-walls, too. While maybe not high end, ;) his followers are strong. Dunno which models and how he designs them, though.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just throwing out a question that may or may not have a solid answer, but I am dealing with a existing home theater and I'm trying to find out what speakers may have been in the wall of the existing space. The opening at all 7 speaker locations (large theater) is 11" wide by 28" tall. I'm not sure I've run into in-wall speakers that are so large overall at this point. I'm looking to put in some Monoprice THX-265IW units, but I want a point of reference of what was likely in there before.

I know there are some companies that actually make high-end in-walls. Triad for example (I'm 99% sure they were not Triads). Martin Logan makes some really high end ones as well, but their Tribute 5XW doesn't appear to be the right size (too large!)... it comes close though.

Any thoughts on what may have been in the 11x28 inch openings?
Can you see any evidence of how they were mounted? Was it metal tabs that were screwed into the framing, plastic dog legs,....?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
B&W Reference CWM7.3 S2 has 28"x10" cut-out spec if you believe that house might use to had 1.8k EACH speaker installed

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
B&W Reference CWM7.3 S2 has 28"x10" cut-out spec if you believe that house might use to had 1.8k EACH speaker installed
I fully believe that. The Kef speakers I were looking at were similarly priced. The theater in this home has stadium seating... IN A HOME! They dug the basement lower in the theater section just to have the tiered seating work better. So, dropping $10,000+ on in-walls seems right in line with the setup.

Since I know my client is a bit of a budget freak, I am going with a SVS SB3000 sub and the Monoprice THX in-walls. He will need to do some drywall repair, but it will be a ton less money than buying B&W speakers to fit into the space.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis