So what is ferrofluid all about anyway?

• Thread starter Ferrofluid Answer Person
  • Start date
F

Ferrofluid Answer Person

Audiophyte
Hey everybody!

I have joined this forum as a result of some frustration I have with the lack of information that is out there regarding the use of ferrofluid in loudspeakers. I've read some commentary in various forum spaces that does a wholesale trash job of ferrofluid, and I know that this arises from misinformation derived from attempts by individuals to use poor quality fluids, intended for junior high science projects, as a replacement for speaker fluids. I invite anyone who wants to discuss the use of ferrofluids in loudspeakers to drop me a comment and I will gladly address. This is my line of work, but it is also one of my hobbies. I abhor the attempts by the loudspeaker companies to suppress repairs in favor of total replacement. This planned obsolescence is unnecessary and it means that wonderful vintage speakers are lost. It is my goal to reverse this trend by helping to educate the general public as to what makes a good ferrofluid for loudspeaker applications of all sorts. I hope I get some feedback!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
When I hear ferrofluid, images of rust water are conjured into my mind. You old rusty guys in old rusty houses with old rusty pipes are sitting on a gold mine!

Fig. 1: ferrofluid in its natural habitat

I didn't know speakers ever needed the fluids changed. I'll have to have the mechanic check the levels next time I take my car in for an oil change.

Anyway, welcome F.A.P. You certainly have a very specific career and hobby. I'm glad that you have found your calling, though. As far as speaker problems can go, what with rotted foam surrounds, burned out voice coils, damaged motors... it seems to me that the coolant level is pretty far down the list, as is the replacement thereof. Are you saying this is a more common issue than The Man has led us to believe?

F

Ferrofluid Answer Person

Audiophyte
Hi Rojo! Typically speaking, if you treat your speakers right, the ferrofluid doesn't need to be changed at any specific time or on any set schedule. However, if you are changing the coil/diaphragm assembly or you find that the fluid has congealed and the motion is getting sluggish, you need to get the old stuff out of there. Fluids manufactured many years ago are not in the same league with the fluids made these days. They didn't have the temperature stability or the length of "gel time" we see now. It's fairly easy to clean out the old fluid once the coil is out of the way, but all too often the manufacturers that DO provide replacement assemblies won't provide a fluid packet. I think their effort is to get you to do the refurb and then say "Man, these things just don't sound like they used to! Time for new speakers!". There are also some sources out there that sell fluid packets for ridiculous prices. They will remain nameless, but I do know one source that is great for these "retrofit kits". That is Parts Express. They have a number of different sizes of packets for the different sizes of drivers, and you just let the magnet drag the fluid out of the tube, no fuss, no mess. It's a general purpose ferrofluid they sell, so it will do a pretty good job with most drivers on the market. If you have special needs it is a good idea to ask for special help, but you can get that by sending an email message to the info@ site for Ferrotec Corporation where you will get fast assistance.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I bet you do all sorts of experiments with ferrofluid when it's not busy around your office. I would.

F

Ferrofluid Answer Person

Audiophyte
I was thinking you were making a snappy Latin remark about Nate Ebner, Defensive End for the NE Patriots!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis