Smart outlets worth it ??

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Do you use these?
Benefits / negatives??
I was considering getting them for my less used system and stuff but they only have a few outlets , does one smart outlet work with another power strip daisy chained to it ?
Or do you want smart outlet to be first one connected to the wall ?
I didn’t have an outlet beside my bedroom system is far away from outlet I use a extensions cord 3 pronged between two surge protectors.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You should never plug one surge protector into another.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Smart outlets should have a specific purpose for their use. I use them, for example, to control my Christmas lights. That way I can turn on and off lights on a schedule, and I put my blow-up decorations on a separate switch, so on windy days I can leave them powered off.

I don't have any of my AV gear on a controlled power outlet at all. There's just no reason for it. I don't want to hard power off any of my devices at any time and a lot of gear doesn't handle being unplugged and plugged back in very well. It's very hard on power supplies to pull power from them. Especially if they were on. Better to leave them plugged in all the time.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I have an older iteration to turn-on my remote power amplifiers. Crawling behind my large loudspeakers was not fun.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Never heard of a smart outlet. I looked it up on the internet and still don't understand what they are. Obviously, I have never used one. I can't imagine wanting a wall outlet with software.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Smart outlets should have a specific purpose for their use. I use them, for example, to control my Christmas lights. That way I can turn on and off lights on a schedule, and I put my blow-up decorations on a separate switch, so on windy days I can leave them powered off.

I don't have any of my AV gear on a controlled power outlet at all. There's just no reason for it. I don't want to hard power off any of my devices at any time and a lot of gear doesn't handle being unplugged and plugged back in very well. It's very hard on power supplies to pull power from them. Especially if they were on. Better to leave them plugged in all the time.
I have one sub that doesn’t turn itself off despite it supposed to do it.
You should never plug one surge protector into another.
yeah but what do you do with wall surges like this I needed more inputs ?
this one has no surge protectors connected to it . My bedroom is one outlet short but my dad won’t pay an electrician to put another outlets in that’s why two power strips are tied together with an 10 foot 3 pronged extension cable .
F6D832C8-877C-4BA7-9B7E-9476EC09033F.jpeg
D605D9C5-93A6-436F-AECE-E2CDB8A44A2A.jpeg

Never heard of a smart outlet. I looked it up on the internet and still don't understand what they are. Obviously, I have never used one. I can't imagine wanting a wall outlet with software.
they supposedly turn themselves off when your not using electronics but I’m not sure how good they are . I wanted one for a sub that won’t shut itself off.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
With the Internet of Things being in full swing, smart outlets can be really great for some people. They are no different than having smart light switches or any other 'smart' things in your home. It is a choice and isn't for everyone and isn't always needed. It's more about those who want certain things to be convenient to them in whatever manner they choose. I have some smart switches in my home for lighting, they also work as normal switches, so as long as they work normally, I can use or not use the 'smart' portion. Likewise, I have smart outlets for my outdoor stuff at Christmas (as I described before), that is super useful and keeps me from having to go outside on cold windy days to turn things on/off. Sometimes, it's just about figuring out what it is that you want to do with these things that are available to us. I fail to understand why people want voice commands for a lot of this stuff, but many people are extremely excited about voice control, even if I find it mostly silly. I say mostly, because setting a timer by just asking for it is pretty darn convenient.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have one sub that doesn’t turn itself off despite it supposed to do it.
A 'smart' device is typically tied to an outlet and the Internet. Sounds to me like you are looking for an outlet which will power on/off when current is applied to another outlet. This would be a current sensing outlet. So, when your AVR powers on, the outlet powers on, when the AVR powers off, the connected outlet powers off.

Something like this would do exactly what you want really...

You would plug your AVR into the 'Tool' side of the outlet, and when it powers on, it will (should) trigger the 'vacuum' side of the outlet to power on. When you power off your AVR, ten seconds later the 'vacuum' side of the outlet will power off. It does not include any surge suppression.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis