Small Sub Recommendations

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Like the title says I'm looking for help selecting small subs. It doesn't look like my anarchy tapped horns are going to pass WAF so they're probably going to wind up in the office.

For WAF I think small size is key. I'm hoping for a pair of subs that will fit under our end tables. So < 17" high and < 21 " deep. Room is 16 x 18 with a sloped ceiling going from 8' - 16' Open floor plan to other rooms adding maybe another 400 sq ft. Used for a mix of movies and music. It will never need to play anywhere near reference levels. I'd rather have it play deep than loud.

SVS SB12-NSD $680 At the top of my list.
Outlaw LFM - compact
Chrysalis Photon 8 factory renewed at half price
Energy s10.3 on it's side (low price at newegg has me contemplating)
Velodyne sc-10 or 12s
Energy ESW M8

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Excellent pricing on the S10.3 at newegg would put it very high on my list. The outlaw looks very fancy with the plexiglass top and is a capable sub. I am also a big fan of the SVS. I don't really know about the others, but I'm sure they are fine as well. Sorry to not be of any help lol.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Dual Epik Legends
Size: 18 H x 15 W x 20 D
I'm afraid that doesn't qualify as small, and being a dual design I can't really put it on it's side....

I like that they're made in the USA and they seem to offer good value. However they just don't fit.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you build the Anarchy's building a small sealed sub is far simpler IMO.

If pure sealed is okay then an Epic 12 or 10 would do the job.

My 12 inch is a lot like the epic and the sub is pretty small IMO. around 1.0cuft.

Anarchy drivers do make very small sealed speakers if you need to downsize on that too. My build uses two of them and I have to add tons of bracing internally to get them to the size I need for my design. A simple 2 way would be very small with excellent response.

If you bought them then all bets are off. Go with the SVS.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My advice is to replace your end tables with subwoofers like the Outlaws or a pair Hsu Research subs. The Outlaws have a plexiglass top making them a good choice. On the other hand Hsu offers word finishes.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
my advice is to replace your end tables with subwoofers like the outlaws or a pair hsu research subs. The outlaws have a plexiglass top making them a good choice. On the other hand hsu offers word finishes.
+1 .............

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My advice is to replace your end tables with subwoofers like the Outlaws or a pair Hsu Research subs. The Outlaws have a plexiglass top making them a good choice. On the other hand Hsu offers word finishes.
End tables are an option. Free space can be a good thing for a sub, but small subs with great drivers are no joke in performance.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Black is out unless it goes under the tables. Unfortunately they would need to be maple if there was any hope of being used as a table. It seems all the regulars are only doing black and shades of red/cherry. Hsu, Rhythmic, axiom, etc.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
If you build the Anarchy's building a small sealed sub is far simpler IMO.

If pure sealed is okay then an Epic 12 or 10 would do the job.

My 12 inch is a lot like the epic and the sub is pretty small IMO. around 1.0cuft.

Anarchy drivers do make very small sealed speakers if you need to downsize on that too. My build uses two of them and I have to add tons of bracing internally to get them to the size I need for my design. A simple 2 way would be very small with excellent response.

If you bought them then all bets are off. Go with the SVS.
The Anarchy's are the flatpacks so no saw required. I'm more worried about the finish. Probably need to do a maple veneer. Are the Parts Express enclosures any good for a sealed sub if you add extra bracing?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
You can get a submersive hp in maple :)

Elemental Designs also offers maple veneer on their subs.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
You can get a submersive hp in maple :)

Elemental Designs also offers maple veneer on their subs.
The submersive would sure look nice on either side of the couch. Or maybe a danley dts-10 behind the couch :) The only thing in the way is that pesky budget.

For ED I have concerns about reliability and wait times and adding $200 for maple reduces the price / performance ratio. Think I'd choose the black svs under the tables.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis