Small Form Factor Amps

J

jcrw

Audiophyte
Guys,

I've recently moved into a new flat and the previous owner has kindly had a great storage system built onto the wall with room for invible cable runs and all that good stuff.

The only problem is that full size hi-fi equipment can barely fit - my DVD player can *just* squeeze in, but an amp with all the connectivity it requires at the back has no hope.

So I am faced with a dilemma. I don't want to have to compromise by buying something like a Bose Lifestyle system, and want to retain the felxibility of having components. Have other people had to face this situation? I'm basically going to have to find a small form factor amp / pre-amp / universal disc player (although the Denon 2900 looks like a winner there).

Thoughts gratefully received.

James

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
micro-size it

if you're feeling the need to squeeze, take a good look at the Harmon-Kardan DPR series (1001, 1005,2005) of receivers. They use digital amplifiers, are only 4 inches high, and etremely efficient, putting out very little heat.

you can match the receiver with a number of the smaller universal DVD players (for example the Pioner 578A) which are maybe two inches tall, and will still give you decent SACD and DVD-audio capability.

you might also try a high-end combo unit like the Nad L70

http://www.nadelectronics.com/av_receivers/L70_framset.htm

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
What is the dimension of the shelf and which of the three dims is a problem. I assume that width is not the problem and you have the problem with either depth or height???

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
James, without knowing what you're driving and how big the room is you hope to fill with sound, it's hard to give you a good answer. If you want to go with an amp that fits, then make sure to choose efficient speakers and probably a powered sub.

If, on the other hand, you have inefficient speakers and/or you're driving large full range speakers that provide most of your bass, you'll need more power than the typical small form factor home amps can give. That's when you have to go to either a digital amp or a fan cooled pro amp, which can be either digital or A/B (Crown, Behringer, QSC). I know I've seen half-rack sized models of these.

The pro-world also has self-powered speakers such as the Behringer Truths, although you'll still need a preamp to handle master volume and surround decoding (assuming home theatre).

Remember that in general, a non-fan cooled amp like that Denon won't be happy squeezed tightly without much space above. Convection cooled amps need space to cool properly, and running them without enough cooling kills their longevity. Some people who pack tight equipment racks add their own fans to make sure adequate air circulates.

J

jcrw

Audiophyte
Guys,

Thanks for the responses here, I've been doing a lot of reading online over the last few days too.

The constraint I have is with depth, there's plenty of width and fairly configurable height too. The room itself is about 15' x 20'.

So far I'd looked at the NAD L70 actually which seems to fit the bill pretty well. In terms of speakers a lot of sites / mags are going crazy for the new Mordaunt / Short Genie with a powered subwoofer.

I've resigned myself to totally replacing the studio reference speakers / harmon kardon combo I have, and have a decent sized budget too (2000USD or so) I just want to make sure I get it right.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

James

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis