Small flood in basement, remove electronics from room??

P

PKS17

Enthusiast
we had a small flood in the corner of the basement, the water soaked up the carpets in about half of the floor, The water is gone now, but the smell is pretty bad, and we are drying up the water with fans.
My reciever is well out of the way of any water, but will the mold or anything damage my electronics?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Excess humidity is never a good thing. It wouldn't hurt to relocate your stuff.

Jim

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
we had a small flood in the corner of the basement, the water soaked up the carpets in about half of the floor, The water is gone now, but the smell is pretty bad, and we are drying up the water with fans.
My reciever is well out of the way of any water, but will the mold or anything damage my electronics?
If you're in a region where you have cold winters and run the furnace all winter, put some fans to keep the air moving, turn on/get and dehumidifier and it shouldn't be a problem. You didn't say where you are and I'm assuming Northern Hemisphere, but if it's warm and humid, I would remove anything that may be badly affected. I had a problem last June and didn't move any of my equipment out and didn't have any real problems unless it was wood (like the backs of my old JBL L-26s). I have everything off of the floor anyway, but I don't have any carpet, either. Remove the carpet- your insurance should cover it and any other damage from water, up to the policy's limits. Use bleach on the floor to kill bacteria and mold.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Oh My God run run away...:eek:.but take your gear out of the room with you:D. As its been said humidity is not good for electronics. Lectricity and water=bad

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'd worry less about the electronics than I would your family's health.

Make sure the carpet and padding are dried out completely or else tear it out and replace it. If you have drywall chances are the water will wick up into it and cause mildew. If possible, douse any exposed wood down with a 20% bleach to water mixture.
Not to sound like the purveyor of doom here; but mold is nothing to take for granted.

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
We recently had a fairly small basement flood that came out of a floor drain. When I found it, I was sure it was sewer stuff, based on the smell. Nope, some drian line clogged and it was built-up kitchen sink drainage that finally found its way out of the basement floor drain. The plumber said they're just about as bad.

The plumber fixed the immediate problem, and later that evening we had a professional clean-up crew come in to get all waste water up, disinfect everything, and get everything back to normal. Our insurance paid for the professional clean-up, which took several days--industrial dehumidifiers, hand-washing anything that got wet, sanitizing, and more--except for our deductible. We even had to have some basement linoleum ripped up and replaced, because the basteria got beneath it, making it a health hazard.

I have to say that if you don't do this level of cleaning, you shouldn't use the basement. Mold and built-up bacteria can be really unhealthy.

Im guessing that at the least, you'll have to pull the carpet up, disinfect the floor, and replace the carpet.

Beware of spores that might have spread to other places, especially to porous surfaces like wood, fabrics, and ceiling tiles.

Chris

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Besides the humidity posts,
Post #five and #six are right on.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Get the basteria away from my electronics. lol

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
basteria

With your permission I would like to use this word to describe anything that I don't like. I like the fact that it sounds like bastard and bacteria. Once you throw "the" in front of it, it's an instant classic. :D
LOL--feel free! Do you wanna know what the kicker is? My gf is a science professor at a big university with a dual appointment in microbiology and biochemistry. I'll have to tell her about my typo. Maybe she can work my new word into a speech she gives some day. ;)

Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis