Slowly building my Vinyl Record System. Small hiccup though

Davidrhaley

Davidrhaley

Audiophyte
Started building an audio setup for my records, but I am stumped to figure out why only one of my speakers is properly working.

The record player : Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB-BK

Direct-Drive Turntable

And the speakers: Edifier R1280DB Powered Bluetooth

Bookshelf Speakers.

Thought the left speaker was blown, so I bought another set, swapped them out and the same thing was occurring, as if the connection wasn't solid. I tried different wiring set ups and I haven't had any luck, that left speaker doesn't work properly. It works with my Pc and on Blu-tooth. So it isn't blown.

I emailed Amazon about the record player and they said that my Speakers will work, so l am at a loss.

Any suggestions? I do plan on getting an amp and better speakers but it's not in the budget for now.

I really could get some suggestions to try and remedy

this.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you checked the cartridge connections at the headshell? Both input 1 and input 2 same result?

Davidrhaley

Davidrhaley

Audiophyte
I tried Line both Line in 1 and 2 and the top line in, I get no sound what so ever. I’m not sure what Headshell is, but I’ll look that up

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Disconnected and reconnected and same result. Just crackling sound from That left speaker still.
This is all using the built-in phono stage I assume. Are you getting same results without? (quality would be an issue, more looking to see if you get L and R this way).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you haven't already, might also just try unplugging the speakers from power for a bit, a soft reset of sorts.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Disconnected and reconnected and same result. Just crackling sound from That left speaker still.
You have to use logic here.

Switch the cables around at the back of the turntable. In other words swap left to right and right to left, and see if the crackling moves from the left to the right speaker. If it does then you turntable is fawlty. Do that next and report back. I am suspicious you have a bad phono preamp in the turntable.

Davidrhaley

Davidrhaley

Audiophyte
You have to use logic here.

Switch the cables around at the back of the turntable. In other words swap left to right and right to left, and see if the crackling moves from the left to the right speaker. If it does then you turntable is fawlty. Do that next and report back. I am suspicious you have a bad phono preamp in the turntable.
I am returning the turntable and and getting another one on exchange, to see if maybe I have a bad phono cable port. The speakers are good, so maybe it’s the turntable

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am returning the turntable and and getting another one on exchange, to see if maybe I have a bad phono cable port. The speakers are good, so maybe it’s the turntable
Woha! You are not at that point yet.

Now reverse those red and white RCA plugs and see of the crackling moves to the right. That proves it is the turntable. Now if it is the turntable the most likely thing is that the switch that switches the connections between the cartridge direct and the in built RIAA amp is probably not throwing all the way due to transit. Now move the switch to and fro a few times and make sure you leave it connected to the internal RIAA amp.

If you are going to own and operate ANY gear you have to operate on more than a couple of neurons and half a synapse, or you will never get out of trouble.

Davidrhaley

Davidrhaley

Audiophyte
Woha! You are not at that point yet.

Now reverse those red and white RCA plugs and see of the crackling moves to the right. That proves it is the turntable. Now if it is the turntable the most likely thing is that the switch that switches the connections between the cartridge direct and the in built RIAA amp is probably not throwing all the way due to transit. Now move the switch to and fro a few times and make sure you leave it connected to the internal RIAA amp.

If you are going to own and operate ANY gear you have to operate on more than a couple of neurons and half a synapse, or you will never get out of trouble.
I get what you’re saying but I also become instantly frustrated when something brand new has the writing on the box/instructions when something should work. Still, I’ll give the rca swap another go and test the connection that way. If anything, i have a replacement coming, which I can cancel before it gets here if that all works out

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I get what you’re saying but I also become instantly frustrated when something brand new has the writing on the box/instructions when something should work. Still, I’ll give the rca swap another go and test the connection that way. If anything, i have a replacement coming, which I can cancel before it gets here if that all works out
Don’t forget to wiggle that switch to and fro. As I think about it, that most likely is the problem.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is hard to know the extent of new members experience. It seems to me that you are inexperienced with turntables and probably audio in general. So, I think some review is in order. I am concerned you did not set this turntable up properly.

Turntables are old technology. Emil Berliner produced the first flat disc, or record as it came to be known in 1893. The LP was first produced by Columbia in 1948 and stereo records arrived on the scene ten years later.

So, given that it is a mechanical system in its essence, it is not plug and play. That means careful set up is of the utmost importance.

You need to study the manual and pay particular attention to page 7. If a turntable is not set up exactly it will not perform properly.

Make good and sure that the phono/line switch is properly set to line. It should be all the way to line.

I do have concerns that you will get a replacement turntable and still have problems due to error in setup. In terms of set up, turntables are very unforgiving.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then learn and analyze instead of being frustrated and being the consumer who blindly returns stuff (like you already apparently did with the speakers)....

Did you try both with and without the built in phono stage? Like TLS says, could simply be the switch, or perhaps something particular with the phono stage, or even perhaps elsewhere in the tt's wiring. In audio it isn't uncommon to have to test various scenarios to help determine where any fault may lie.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis