Skyrim to be More Like Fallout 3 Than Oblivion

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
While Nov. 11th can't get here fast enough for some myself included there hasn't been any shortage of talk about Bethesda's latest RPG Skyrim. The enviable comparison debates between Oblivion and Skyrim will happen but Skyrim will have more in common with Fallout 3 than with Oblivion. Todd Howard recently gave an interview with PC Gamer in which he talks about some of the the things they have incorporated into Skyrim.

Skyrim's leveling system will be a departure from Oblivion's system which IMHO was awful.

[Skyrim]’s a lot more like Fallout 3, where as you level up you are going to see harder things, but the easier things stay around as well. You’ll still run into the weaker stuff and you’ll just decimate it.
Skyrim's conversation system is more in line with FO3 hopefully that damn conversation wheel from Oblivion is left out as well.

There’s very few completely random conversations. We’ve gone more towards a system, like we did in Fallout 3, where they have a specific conversation with a specific person about various topics.
Last but not least environmental storytelling.

We realized in Fallout 3 that that kind of environmental storytelling, where you come upon a little scene, is really good. And so we’ve tried to do it a lot more.
These changes looks like a positive sign of gaming goodness from Bethesda, keep your fingers crossed that Skyrim doesn't suffer from as many glitches as Oblivion did.

Last edited:
zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
That all sounds good to me. As big as Oblivion's flaws were (everything about the leveling system was horrendous), it's still one of my favorite and most played games. Skyrim sounds as if everything is going to work a little better all around...and the human character models look much less like creepy rubber puppets.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Some of the glitches where annoying but the scroll glitch was very useful, the ragdoll effect is another issue that bothered me. In the GOTY version there was side quest that was impossible to complete, the cure for vampirism which in my mind really is not a big deal but rather an annoyance.

On a different note Peter Hines VP of PR has tweeted that Skyrim's strategy guide is massive about a hundred plus more pages than Oblivion. Here's what he posted on Twitter:

Just got my hands on the first copy of the Skyrim strategy guide. Quite the tome, coming in at 655 pages. As much a weapon as it is a guide.

A

Arcane19

Audioholic Intern
I wonder if I am going to get the strategy guide. I got it for oblivion and was able to do EVERYTHING in the game.

This time around, I want to "explore" the land and hope that the game will last me a long time. See how I play the game without any guide. I think it will be a lot more fun and interesting that way. Also, having a big strategy guide on your lap is rather annoying, and slows down the game as you have to keep reading it.

Plus, everything is on the internet...lol.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Autospam bot or really terrible auto translation

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis