Single Disc CD Player Recommendation

K

kage

Enthusiast
I have the Sony BDP-S790 that I use to play cds with its 2 channel analog out and I use HDMI for watching movies. I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver that I use for sound. I really don't like using my Sony blu-ray player to play cds. I tried out the Onkyo C-7030 cd player, it had really good sound quality but I had to return it because it could not play my cd-rs. I know that I finalize them right because my car's cd player could read them as well as my Sony bluray player.

I'm planning to use the analog output from the cd player to my receiver. I've been looking at the Marantz CD5004 and the Yamaha CD-S300. Please recommend a cd player thats around $350.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I use the Tascam CD200, which routinely goes for $300, and it can be had for less during special sales at various stores on the internet. I only use the digital output, but I'm sure it sounds great through the analog output too. The CD200 not only supports CD-R, but MP3 and WAV files (though I admit I haven't tried mine in those modes).

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
For a single disk player an eastern electric mini max vac-tube player is excellent.Just something to look at.Has excellent headphone jack as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have the Sony BDP-S790 that I use to play cds with its 2 channel analog out and I use HDMI for watching movies. I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver that I use for sound. I really don't like using my Sony blu-ray player to play cds. I tried out the Onkyo C-7030 cd player, it had really good sound quality but I had to return it because it could not play my cd-rs. I know that I finalize them right because my car's cd player could read them as well as my Sony bluray player.

I'm planning to use the analog output from the cd player to my receiver. I've been looking at the Marantz CD5004 and the Yamaha CD-S300. Please recommend a cd player thats around $350.
If you have an AV set up, you absolutely do not need to waste money on a CD only player. Also you only need the HDMI connection to your receiver, that gives you the best sound. That way you just use the drive of your player, if you use a bitstream connection.

And of you buy a CD player with a vacuum, tube your a nutter pure and and simple.

Bottom line, you don't need a CD only player and if you buy one it won't make an iota of difference to what you hear.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Don't understand why you would want a stand alone CD player and also use analog audio out???

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Guys, there are reasons other than sound quality. I do find it slightly more cumbersome to use a bluray player for CDs, longer startup times, generally inferior front panel buttons etc

Let him use a CD player if he wants...

K

kage

Enthusiast
Would I be better off selling my Sony BDP-S790 and purchasing the Oppo BDP-103?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Looks like my previous statements of defense were misguided.

Would I be better off selling my Sony BDP-S790 and purchasing the Oppo BDP-103?
As has been said repeatedly, not if you're using HDMI. No difference at all.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Guys, there are reasons other than sound quality. I do find it slightly more cumbersome to use a bluray player for CDs, longer startup times, generally inferior front panel buttons etc

I agree. I use a CD player primarily because I have an audio-only system, but I get so sick and tired of lousy ergonomics for disc players that I think the simple pleasure of a dedicated, fast-acting CD player with effective controls is worth a bit of money. That's why I chose the Tascam, it reminds me of something from the 1990s.

If parts and service weren't so expensive I'd still be using the old Madrigal / Levinson No39 or No37 transports with my DAC/Pre-amp. They don't sound any better in digital mode, but the ergonomics and the way they operated were such a pleasure. I miss my No39 since I sold it.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic

I bought a cd player from TLS a while back for this exact reason. I hated that I had to turn on a monitor to play a CD through my Bluray player. Plus, it looks frickin' awesome!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

Grador ,thank you for this post.

Kage, word to the wise, 2 subjects to avoid on this forum: 1. recommendations for a CD player (You will get a <!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]-->guaranteed <!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->number of responses telling you you don't need a CD player and you are are stupid for considering one. 2. Bi-amping - Stay away from this topic. (They will tear you a new one) There are alot of folks here that really know their stuff, and have much more elaborate systems then my budget gear, but for the life of me, I can't understand the aversion to CD players. Yes there is digital music and streaming, yes you can combine Blue ray and CD playback functions in a single machine. But Grador brought up some good points. I purchased an Oppo 105 (my first blue ray player) and I am using the analog outs for CD playback. The machine sounds great, but it is more cumbersome to use as a CD player. Slower start up time, you have to hit the play button on the remote, THAN the track you want to hear, etc. It does have drawbacks in terms using it as a CD player (although the sound is great)

Try the Oppo 103 if you want. Oppo has a 30 day return policy if you don't like it. but remember that the 103 has no dedicated stereo RCA outputs. You would use the Left and Right stereo outputs of the Oppo's 7.1 analog outs. But only you can determine if you like the sound or not compared to your Sony. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I haven't owned a CD player in a long time since I prefer a computer based playback system. That said, I'm looking to buy one in the near future. There is something about just being able to pop in that new CD and listen to it. Plus, it provides a reference point for your computer based playback system. That said, I wish CD players would build in some of the functionality that you see in blu ray players. My little panasonic DMP BD 220 doesn't clean the kitchen sink but it comes pretty close. I wish CD players had digital inputs . . . a few do (the Marantz SA8004 does) but it's pretty rare.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you are not opposed to buying used and are on a budget I'd recommend Oppo 980H It has great playback and run bettween $100-120 used on Craigslist or Ebay. It's not a BD player, but the sound quality is great for CD's and it also plays SACD/DVD-A and upconverts regular dvd's. J_garcia has a Oppo 83SE on the for sale area here which is fantastic as well.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I bought a cd player from TLS a while back for this exact reason. I hated that I had to turn on a monitor to play a CD through my Bluray player. Plus, it looks frickin' awesome!
You could also use a digital out besides the HDMI and you would not have to turn on the monitor just use a different input selection. ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Grador ,thank you for this post.

Kage, word to the wise, 2 subjects to avoid on this forum: 1. recommendations for a CD player (You will get a <!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]-->guaranteed <!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->number of responses telling you you don't need a CD player and you are are stupid for considering one. 2. Bi-amping - Stay away from this topic. (They will tear you a new one) There are alot of folks here that really know their stuff, and have much more elaborate systems then my budget gear, but for the life of me, I can't understand the aversion to CD players. Yes there is digital music and streaming, yes you can combine Blue ray and CD playback functions in a single machine. But Grador brought up some good points. I purchased an Oppo 105 (my first blue ray player) and I am using the analog outs for CD playback. The machine sounds great, but it is more cumbersome to use as a CD player. Slower start up time, you have to hit the play button on the remote, THAN the track you want to hear, etc. It does have drawbacks in terms using it as a CD player (although the sound is great)

Try the Oppo 103 if you want. Oppo has a 30 day return policy if you don't like it. but remember that the 103 has no dedicated stereo RCA outputs. You would use the Left and Right stereo outputs of the Oppo's 7.1 analog outs. But only you can determine if you like the sound or not compared to your Sony. Good luck!
Well, some are just curious why the person needs a CD player. Perhaps they didn't think it through? Or, perhaps, as some say, they are in a hurry to get it going and need more flexibility. You know, one of those curiosity questions. And, still don't understand the need for an analog connection. The 103 is plenty fast. I have a hard time timing the differences;)
Same with bi-amping. Maybe the person asking just doesn't know the whole story. Better to be informed than not knowing, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Well, some are just curious why the person needs a CD player. Perhaps they didn't think it through? Or, perhaps, as some say, they are in a hurry to get it going and need more flexibility. You know, one of those curiosity questions. And, still don't understand the need for an analog connection. The 103 is plenty fast. I have a hard time timing the differences;)
Same with bi-amping. Maybe the person asking just doesn't know the whole story. Better to be informed than not knowing, no?
Mtrycrafts-All fair points. sharing and informing is the intent here :) What you say is true, the 103 is fast enough. There are a lot of blue ray players out there that are not very intuitive to use as a CD player though. I am old school. I like tearing open a new CD and putting it in my player and listening. Someone else here said that listening to a CD also gives you a point of reference for your digital music. I agree with that. Deciding on the connection analog or digital, is a matter of, if the user wants to use the DACs in the receiver (Digital) or the analog outs of the player (In that case he is using the DACs in the player. But only he can determine what sounds better to him in his system. Personally, I would never have spent the $ for the Oppo 105 and just used digital connections :) I am using the 7.1 analog and the dedicated stereo outs in my arrangement. Excellent system BTW. And that's a great view out your window :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis