"Single-amping" in bi-amp mode on A/V receiver

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-27 and I noticed my right channel's tweeter radiates a high frequency noise when the front speakers are connected to the Front L/R terminals. This only occurs when both channels are hooked up. If the front right is hooked up alone, there is no high frequency whine. In order to test out if it's merely the front L/R amp that has a problem, I disconnected the speakers from the front outputs, enabled bi-amp mode and then connected the rear surround outputs to my speakers.

Once again, the same behavior occurred. Only when both right and left channels are both hooked up to the surround rear outputs does the right channel whine.

So on a hunch, I connected one speaker to the front L output, and the other speaker to the surround rear R output, and voila! No ringing from the right speaker. I also tried to reverse (front R/surround rear L) and also there was no noise.

So this is probably just some strange idiosyncrasy of the receiver or ICEPower amps (I don't think it's defective, I've gone through a bunch of receivers and power amps lately that all bothered me one way or the other, I just have really sensitive hearing...)

But enough of this. My real question is this;

When one channel is connected to front amp, and other channel connected to the surround rear amp, does theoretical power output increase? This may be a false assumption since I'm assuming amps are split into pairs of channels. But if they are, this may in fact be an interesting way to increase power output using bi-amp mode?

What do you guys think of this hypothesis?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
When one channel is connected to front amp, and other channel connected to the surround rear amp, does theoretical power output increase?
No.

This may be a false assumption since I'm assuming amps are split into pairs of channels.
Each channel of the receiver is a fully independent amplifier channel (with the possible exception of the back channels of some 7.1 receivers).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis