Simple, What is good Speaker Cable

A

albasbal

Enthusiast
I am cunfused over what makes a good quality speaker cable for a hi-end system. Is Monter Cable really over the top or simple 12 gage from a home improvement store just as good?

T

t3031999

Audioholic
There have been numerous threads on this already.
Monster cable is way overpriced.
Simple 12 gauge cable works just fine, just make sure it's fairly close to pure oxygen-free copper.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For most installs, you only need 14ga. 12 is already overkill in most cases.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
the wonderfully, boring grey 14ga cable at home depot will do the job just fine :)

I few a few banaclips on a few of the wire runs to make it easier to connect/disconnect.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
A good speaker cable should have low resistance, low capacitance, and low inductance. It should also be high purity and have quality insulation to prevent oxidation of the conductors. Lastly, in the interest of ease-of-use, it should be flexible (which means a high strand count).

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I use standard 14g zip cord (lamp wire) with no problems at all. I would never pay for "premium" speaker cables. They are just for looks as far as I'm concerned.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Oxygen Free???

t3031999 said:
There have been numerous threads on this already.
Monster cable is way overpriced.
Simple 12 gauge cable works just fine, just make sure it's fairly close to pure oxygen-free copper.
Oxygen free has absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with the conductivity of a copper cable. Any 12 guage cable will work equally fine. Oxygen free is merely a piece of selling hype to charge more for cable.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
ruadmaa said:
Oxygen free has absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with the conductivity of a copper cable. Any 12 guage cable will work equally fine. Oxygen free is merely a piece of selling hype to charge more for cable.
.....I've heard oxygen-free had something to do with tarnishing and corrosion, rather lack of....anything to this?.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mulester7 said:
.....I've heard oxygen-free had something to do with tarnishing and corrosion, rather lack of....anything to this?.....

Well, since you asked :)
From Wire, Cable, and Fiber Optics for Video & Audio Engineers by Stephen H. Lampen of Belden:

"OFC is copper that has been annealed in non-oxygen atmosphere to prevent oxygen from rebinding with the copper and allow oxidation."

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

ruadmaa said:

Not totally correct.

From the same reference I quoted for mulster, same page, further down the paragraph:

"A purer form of copper will be a slightly better conductor and, at very high frequencies, the skin effect will be slightly lessened."

How much less is the issue and its benefit at audio frequency. I would not worry about that slight difference as it would be way out on the right of the decimal point:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

albasbal said:
I am cunfused over what makes a good quality speaker cable for a hi-end system. Is Monter Cable really over the top or simple 12 gage from a home improvement store just as good?

As you have seen there is not much to a good cable. Monster is fine, just too expensive and the marketing principles are horrendous.

So, depending on distance, 14ga and even 16ga would be fine from an inexpensive source. Should not have to pay over $.30/ft.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis