Silver Marantz gear

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Is there anyway to get silver Marantz gear in the states?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not that I know of. Most manufacturers did that for a year or two and dropped it. Outlaw is the only one offering the RR2150 in silver right now, AFAIK. Maybe a few others here and there.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I thought it might be a non US product offering since I see them over in the UK. Was just curious.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I do think many still offer them in other countries, but not the US. If you can find one that is 120V, should work fine.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I'm not looking to buy. Was just curious on the Silver product line.. My NEW Parasound Halo product is Silver and I really like it better than black... Shows less dust.:D

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I'm not looking to buy. Was just curious on the Silver product line.. My NEW Parasound Halo product is Silver and I really like it better than black... Shows less dust.:D
So your saying your gear is dusty? :eek:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I recall seeing the "silver" Marantz gear on their US website a few years ago.

I believe that they reserved that color for the reference line. And for Marantz, I believe they call call it "champagne".

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I recall seeing the "silver" Marantz gear on their US website a few years ago.

I believe that they reserved that color for the reference line. And for Marantz, I believe they call call it "champagne".
All the manufacturers did it for one or two years while it was "in". ALL models, including HTIBs came in silver as an option. Then people stopped buying it so they stopped selling it here.

Oppo offers the current models in silver :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have always add a full rack of Black components. This will be a first time for me having a mix of Black and silver. Not sure it looks as good as all black or all silver.. Oh well. Sound is priority 1.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Only thing silver in my current rack is the APC. Everything else is black, and currently that's what I'm sticking with.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Silver is also better for being able to see the lettering on the front so that one knows what control is what. There is a reason why books have white paper and black ink for the lettering, and it isn't all about saving ink. Most word processing programs have black lettering on a white background, but it would be equally easy for them to reverse the two. But you would have a much harder time reading the text that way, so they don't generally do it that stupid way.

Black components seemed to get popular when they started making more things out of plastic. It is easier to get plastic to have a good black than it is to have it really look like silver. Brushed aluminum is more expensive than plastic, and so we have lots of black boxes that are much less user-friendly than if they had unpainted brushed aluminum fronts and black lettering.

I would buy only components with "silver" fronts if they were available in what I wanted. But in the U.S., we are not given a choice with most of our gear, and so I have a lot of ugly black boxes. And so I have to turn up the lights to see what the damn controls are. It really makes me like my old vintage gear that has unpainted brushed aluminum fronts, as I can what the controls are and how they are set in dim lighting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis