Should we let the receiver do the thinking?

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
I've read polar opinions regarding whether to set up main speakers in a 5.1 system as large or small.

One the one hand, when I run auto setup on my AVR-3805 through the Denon microphone, it chooses large for my Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts and CC370 centre channel and small for the ADP370 surrounds.

On the other hand, Denon's website and many others recommend choosing small for all speakers and letting the sub handle frequencies below the THX standard 80 Hz.

It sounds great as the 3805 decided, with no distortion through low frequency passages of any movie, no matter where the volume's set and the 3805 is never more than warm to the touch. The Paradigms are good for below 40 Hz.

Any thoughts?

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I think setting the front channels to "Large" is ok. Just because THX says to let the sub handle everything below 80Hz dosen't mean that's the correct application in every situation.

You think Gene has his front speakers in the Reference System 1 set to small??

Paul

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Now that you put it that way...

After reading several of Gene's set up articles, I think I've got the crossover set too high. I put it at 80 Hz because that where my Denon user manual recommended. The AVR-3805 has only one universal crossover for all speakers, I set it to 80 Hz after taking into consideration the bass capability of my centre and surrounds (57 Hz DIN and 55 Hz respectively)

Funny, I originally set it to 60 Hz based on the bass capabilities of my mains (33 Hz DIN). Gene recommends a 60 Hz cutoff for mains with 30 Hz low frequency extension. Come to think of it, I am getting slight bass coupling (a little too much bass) currently.

I'll tinker.

279BLUE

Enthusiast
Your system

Quick question for you: I have been shopping for a new system & am considering purchasing the same reciever & speakers as you. Are you happy with them? Thanks.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
279BLUE said:
Quick question for you: I have been shopping for a new system & am considering purchasing the same reciever & speakers as you. Are you happy with them? Thanks.
For that price point, it's quite impressive. The first time I heard them together my jaw dropped to the floor. It was the best system I'd heard and far from the most expensive (obviously I'm biased, but that's why I bought them).

However, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to actually hear your reciever/amplifier powering the speakers your looking at. Ideally side by side with familiar music, through a switch box where the dealer can swap receivers while you listen. Make sure all levels are balalnced (bring your Rat Shack SPL) as closely as possible and tone controls out (who needs them anyway?) by using the receivers direct or similar mode. Make sure you have the dealer "label" each receiver as he switches them (A, B, C...) and you don't know their names as their switched to avoid personal bias. Listen to several songs, switching them in and out while you rank them. After you're done you'll have a clear and decisive favourite. I call it a dealer double blind listening test, you may be surprised by the results.

I highly recommend auditioning very high end equipment such as an Anthem Statement D1/P5 combo powering a Paradigm Signature Series system like the S8, C5, ADP and Servo combo (or any number of great gear, depending on what's available in your area). This will help you listen for some of the traits that make these systems so great, but at much lower price points.

However, if you've got the dough, I'd make the stretch to Paradigm's Reference Studio 20 System Two (it's almost double the price), but the sound!....and so small!....You can later upgrade to Anthems MCA 30 (mains and centre) and a Denon HD DVD player when they come out next year. If that sounds like my plan, well...don't tell the Mrs!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis