should I really trust YPAO

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
I recently purchased a SVSpbultra16 to add deep bass that my sound reinforcement bass speakers can't give me in my home theatre / music listening/ living room. when I use ypao to set up it never gets speaker distance right I accept that certain speakers as mine area mix of bipolar and dipolar are harder for it to calibrate, but the subwoofers 1 pair turbosound placed coupled together in the front of room between main speakers and SVS in the back corner, when ypao sets distance on them it makes less bass more phase cancellations than using an spl meter and picking test tones and adjusting distance settings manually to achieve highest spl. I know everybody bashes live sound speakers but they can give you that hard hitting bass you can't get from a subwoofer. I have the turbo sounds crossed over at 100 hz and the svs crossed over at 60hz, but no matter how I try to set distances for them there still seems to be some cancellation at some frequencies, what is the best way for me to set them up?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I recently purchased a SVSpbultra16 to add deep bass that my sound reinforcement bass speakers can't give me in my home theatre / music listening/ living room. when I use ypao to set up it never gets speaker distance right I accept that certain speakers as mine area mix of bipolar and dipolar are harder for it to calibrate, but the subwoofers 1 pair turbosound placed coupled together in the front of room between main speakers and SVS in the back corner, when ypao sets distance on them it makes less bass more phase cancellations than using an spl meter and picking test tones and adjusting distance settings manually to achieve highest spl. I know everybody bashes live sound speakers but they can give you that hard hitting bass you can't get from a subwoofer. I have the turbo sounds crossed over at 100 hz and the svs crossed over at 60hz, but no matter how I try to set distances for them there still seems to be some cancellation at some frequencies, what is the best way for me to set them up?
You’ve come to the right Forum my friend! We have some Ole Timers on here that can help you! So I’ll let them Sub ”Gurus” and we have many on here that will chime in!

Mike

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which avr/version of YPAO do you have? Older YPAO wasn't famous for dealing with subs. How can you have two crossovers? Distance (delay) on subs may need to allow for processing time in the sub's amp. More information about your measuring might help.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
sorry about delay plumbing issues took my attention, I have a newer Yamaha rxa3070 one subwoofer out feeds a pair of bridged mono amps feeding the turbo sounds, the other subwoofer out feeds my SVSpbultra16, sub pre out is set to monox2 crossed over at 100hz then I set crossover to SVS to 60hz. I use a cd with test tones from 200hz down to 20hz and use a very sophisticated elaborate radioshack spl meter which was probably 30$ back in 1980. I left phase at 0 on the SVS and have just been using distance setting changes in the Yamaha for adjustment. thanks for your insight.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you are adding the low pass filter on the SVS to that already provided by your avr with the speaker crossover? I wouldn't do that, I'd just let the avr handle it (altho if using an LFE input on some subs it may not actually be in effect, as sometimes using the LFE input automatically takes the low pass filter out of the circuit). Sub pre-outs are mono on almost all avrs I can think of, believe that would be the case with yours but I'd need to check the manual. You may be bypassing the dual sub feature to set delay/level separately for two subs I'm thinking....

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
you think I should just set crossover on receiver to say 80hz and bypass crossover on svs and if I want to play with distance (phase) then use phase control on svs, thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
you think I should just set crossover on receiver to say 80hz and bypass crossover on svs and if I want to play with distance (phase) then use phase control on svs, thanks
I've not had any need to cascade filters so I'd use the avr. Are all the subs equidistant from your primary listening spot? Does your version of YPAO allow for the avr to use separate delay/level of two different subs or does it really have a mono/stereo setting? Does the SVS have more than polarity control for phase? Might also think about using a minidsp for sub setup, too.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unless you invest in additional gear like the minidsp or dcx2496, use the avr for now. After two subs/mbms you need processing power and measurements to get the best out of a system.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
thank everybody for advice, front subs are about 5 feet closer than one in rear, ypao does set different distance and level and phase for each sub output, has left right stereo and mono setting for subs, I agree with you about maybe a mini dsp because I think subs should have different crossover points for there different strengths and weaknesses. THANKS

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thank everybody for advice, front subs are about 5 feet closer than one in rear, ypao does set different distance and level and phase for each sub output, has left right stereo and mono setting for subs, I agree with you about maybe a mini dsp because I think subs should have different crossover points for there different strengths and weaknesses. THANKS
So how does stereo work for the subs? Is that only in two ch mode or something? Guess I'll have to take a look at your manual. The minidsp working off the sub pre-outs wouldn't be setting crossover (which would include a high pass filter for your speakers).

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I would start by setting the subs manually to the measured distance and see if that clears up the phase cancelation you measured at certain frequencies. I had the same problem with audyssey, sub was 5.5', audyssey set it to 7.7', and I had a huge null at 50hz. I think sometimes automatic room correction may get confused by the out of phase signals coming from the port or room reflections at low frequencies.

Use a tone generator app on your phone or download a file of the frequency that there is a null at, and slowly adjust the distance until it is the loudest, that's what I did and it worked well for me. I'd do the same with the speakers, just set the distance manually. Sometimes in small overly reflective rooms room correction gets distances wrong.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis