Should I go with a SVS 25-31PC+ or a 20-39PC+ for a Hi-Res audio setup?

Q

quick01

Enthusiast
My setup is used almost exclusively (80/20) for music. Primarily I listen to Hi-Res audio (SACD/DVD-A), concert DVD’s and of course redbook CD’s. I listen to everything from Blues and Metal to Classical and Bluegrass. Volume-wise, I typically listen in the 85–95db range with an occassional 105 db peak. My mains are full size towers rated down to 37Hz, so the sub crossover will be turned down to 40 or 50Hz. A concern I have is my listening room is fairly large (23’x 18’ w/14’ vaulted ceiling). Which one would best match my needs? Any feedback? Thanks John

p.s. I asked Ron at SVS, but he wouldn’t commit on one over the other. He said either one would do nicely.

Toshiba 35"
Parasound HCA-2003(L/C/R)
h/k PA2000(rears)
h/k AVR 525(pre-amp)
Denon DVD-2900
JBL S310-II's
JBL S-Ctr II
JBL S36-II's(rears)
Velodyne CHT-12 (currently listed on eBay)
23'x18'x14' (LxWxH)

Last edited:
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
My 2039+ volume {gain} is never past the 9:00 position for music in a 14'x18'x8' living room. I always figured it is better to have too much than not enough .....it can always be turned down. :)

Q

quick01

Enthusiast
I was also leaning towards the 20-39+. But, I was just wondering if I'm giving anything up by going with the larger unit....such as, does the more compact 25-31+ offering a tighter more musical sound?

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
mmmm...I have wondered the same myself. I usually listen to classical and jazz on a daily basis and have noticed tight drums on {loud} Blue Man Group. Been really happy with all it has done for me and it is cranked to 12:00 sometimes for movies. Musical....?.....This being my first sub it's hard to say if it can get ANY more musical.

Q

quick01

Enthusiast
I know the term "Musical Sound" is a vague concept, at best. But, I've read that some subs sound great for HT, but less than optimal for Audio. And since I can't audition the unit, I'd like to get it right the first time.

p.s. Oh....by the way, I asked Ron@SVS the same question but he wouldn’t commit on one over the other. He said either one would do nicely.

Q

quick01

Enthusiast
Anyone using the 20-39+ or the 25-31+ for mostly audio duty?

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I have the PC Ultra (20-39 PC+ on steroids) and find it perfect for hi-res audio played through my Denon 2900. After calibration, it blends in to the point that I sometimes don't think it's on.....but then turning it off leaves a gaping hole in the sound. For movies it'll rock your world.

Mort

Q

quick01

Enthusiast
Mort, thanks for the feedback. I have a 2900 as well and I love mine! When paired with my Parasound amp, it’s silky smooth. The PC+’s are really not in my budget, but that’s what I’m getting anyway. The PC Ultra is out of my league. I think a PC+ will satisfy my non-audiophile ear. I hope it's as transparent as your Ultra.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
The PC+ was my original choice until I contacted the nice folks at SVS. After giving them all my room info, etc, I asked if I'd notice much difference between the two. Their answer was the the PC+ would be fine......but I might always wonder if the Ultra would have been better. Pretty dang sneaky eh? ;) My room had limited options for placement so the PEQ on the Ultra became the clincher (or so I've told myself).

Mort

Q

quick01

Enthusiast
Mort: Hmmm...yes indeed....very sneaky. That's interesting because when I emailed SVS and gave them all my details and specs Ron would not recommend one over the other (25-31+ or 20-39+). He said either would do nicely and then pitched me on the Ultra as well. That's actually why I posted this question here.

Mort, is your listening room larger than mine? (23’x 18’ w/14’ vaulted ceiling)

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
My room is a little smaller (14X18 with 8' ceiling) but is open on one side to a kitchen and great room. I've got the gain on the sub at nine o'clock plus so there's plenty of headroom. My system gives a nice, balanced, sound throughout the entire area. The lower tuning of the 20-39 really comes into play with things like timpani drums and pipe organ music but also shows presence with the bass drum on some rock music. Needless to say, with some movie LFE tracks, it's pretty awesome.

Was the better driver and more powerful amp in the Ultra worth the extra cost? I'll never know.

Mort

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis