B

bulldog

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Should i bi-wire my speakers they are Evo 1's and i have a cambridge amp 640 will i hear a difference? or will i just pay for 2 lots of cable? im inclined to just buy a good single cable
what does everybody else think?

cheers</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Save your money and just use quality jumpers if your speakers did not come with any.

Now if your amp/receiver has the ability to bi-amp then I would say go for the extra run of speaker wire.

If you still feel the desire to bi-wire, look at cables that can be internally bi-wired. &nbsp;A great example is Canare 4s11.</font>

B

bulldog

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>im a bit new to all this are jumpers the banana plugs? bi amp? you mean buy another amp?</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>The pieces that connect one set of post to the other set.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
bulldog : <font color='#000000'>im a bit new to all this are jumpers the banana plugs? bi amp? you mean buy another amp?</font>
<font color='#000000'>The jumpers are either solid brass bars or short speaker wires that connect one set of speaker terminals to the other.

Bi-amping would involve having one channel feeding the low input of the speaker and another channel feeding the high input. &nbsp;An example would be to use 7.1 receiver (i.e. new Denon flagship) that has seven channels. &nbsp;Four channels would be dedicated to your front left and right speakers. &nbsp;The remaining channels would then be used normally for center and rears. &nbsp;In some cases bi-amping does result in buying another amp. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Since all but the cheapest (KLH, etc) receivers have A and B speaker connections, an easier way to get any meaningful results from bi-wiring is to use the &quot;A&quot; speakers connections for the mid/high connection, and the &quot;B&quot; speaker connections for the woofer.  Yes you will have two runs of wire.  Anyway you do not require multiple amps, since even the HT 7.1/5.1 receivers will have A and B speaker outputs for the main front speakers.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Mudcat : <font color='#000000'>Since all but the cheapest (KLH, etc) receivers have A and B speaker connections, an easier way to get any meaningful results from bi-wiring is to use the &quot;A&quot; speakers connections for the mid/high connection, and the &quot;B&quot; speaker connections for the woofer.  Yes you will have two runs of wire.  Anyway you do not require multiple amps, since even the HT 7.1/5.1 receivers will have A and B speaker outputs for the main front speakers.</font>
<font color='#000000'>The problems with using A+B speaker outputs are related to stablity and output power. &nbsp;When using this mode, most receivers will not comfortably handle speaker loads below 8 ohms for an extended period of time. &nbsp;Also the power loss will result in loss of dynamics and will most likely make the front stage sound compressed especially at high volumes. &nbsp;I would never recommend this setup to anyone interested in high-fidelity.

In short, if one is to bi-amp then the choice is to use a capable 7.1 receiver, multiple amps or a multi-channel amp. &nbsp;Having discrete channels is the way to go for a bi-amped setup.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Mudcat : Since all but the cheapest (KLH, etc) receivers have A and B speaker connections, an easier way to get any meaningful results from bi-wiring is to use the &quot;A&quot; speakers connections for the mid/high connection, and the &quot;B&quot; speaker connections for the woofer.  Yes you will have two runs of wire.  Anyway you do not require multiple amps, since even the HT 7.1/5.1 receivers will have A and B speaker outputs for the main front speakers.
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>The above quote of bi-wiring is not a good idea! Even with a flagship 7.1 receiver!</font>

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I was not aware of this, I stand corrected. &nbsp;Even though my yamaha manual says to do it that way. &nbsp;BTW, I am using two amps.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
zumbo : <font color='#000000'>The above quote of bi-wiring is not a good idea! Even with a flagship 7.1 receiver!</font>
<font color='#000000'>GDS did it with the Denon-5803. &nbsp;Didn't you read the review? &nbsp;It wasn't exactly easy to setup but it was done. &nbsp;Here's the link to the review:

http://audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR5803p1.html

Page 4 is where he discusses the setup for bi-amping.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>WOW! I did not know this was the receiver in question.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis