Should I bi amp my speakers?

F

Fourloko

Audiophyte
Hey Guys,

I just purchased a pair of B&W CM8s and a Yamaha A-S501. The Yahama has the ability to setup my speakers in a biamp configuration. Should I do it? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey Guys,

I just purchased a pair of B&W CM8s and a Yamaha A-S501. The Yahama has the ability to setup my speakers in a biamp configuration. Should I do it? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
For the upteenth time NO!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. That is correct. Second of all, you can't even biamp off an integrated because there are only two channels. Connecting to both A and B terminals would be no different than using one because they are the same two amps.

F

Fourloko

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply guys. So why would the amp have a A+B setting? Basically marketing Hype?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your reply guys. So why would the amp have a A+B setting? Basically marketing Hype?
To run 2 sets of speakers, connected in parallel.

And, that is usually a bad idea, at least running 2 pairs at the same time! If your speakers are 4 ohm and you run 2 sets........bu-bye amp.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It will usually state in the manual that if you use both A and B that the speakers need to be 8 Ohm; or total impedance above what the amp can safely handle. That won't fry the amp right away, it will fry tweeters first in most cases.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Having the ability to run two sets of speakers was a standard feature in two channel stereo units since the beginning of this hobby. Many used this to run a second set of speakers in another room. And, many units cautioned that when running two sets of speakers simultaneously, they must each be 8 ohms or greater.

Nowadays, this is a rarity in multi-channel receivers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis