Should I angle my sub?

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
I have a 5.2.2 setup and my sub placement is front left a few feet in from the wall and rear right, beside my sectional. The rear sub is facing straight out from the wall, but the sectional does not turn at 90 degrees so the sub is firing directly into the bend in the sectional at a 45 degree angle. Moving the sub over to clear the furniture is not an option due to the room setup, so I’m just wondering if it would be technically better to angle the sub so it’s firing parallel with the sectional or to leave it as is. It doesn’t sound bad where it is, I’m just curious what the forum thinks.Thanks!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not necessary.
Low frequency wavefronts are so large, they are often referred to as omni-directional. You can experiment with it as you wish, but you will likely not experience even a subtle change, based on my understanding of your description. :)
If you want to post a photo, it may help...
Regardless, I would say just make certain your driver has maybe 2' of clear space if possible... beyond that, if it sounds good (and better, measures good), then be happy and enjoy! :)

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the response, I’ll post a picture when I get home later.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've not found orientation of my subs to have an audible impact, altho the one right behind me I do have facing into the back of my seat just for any tactile advantage that may offer :) It might make small differences in measurement....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, changing that won’t matter…
But. Pics, cause you know. Pics.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Apologies for the delayed response. Here’s some pics, a little difficult to show the situation without moving anything but hopefully you’ll get the idea.
what is to the left of the Sub as you face it/the wall?

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
what is to the left of the Sub as you face it/the wall?
We’ve got a little bar set up there, have the sub tucked there to keep a little access path. One of those wife compromises:)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Earlier advice stands...
you could, if you choose to, experiment by moving it a little away from the Sofa, and perhaps even tuning it 90º to fire away from the back.
Towards the first suggestion, a few inches can make a difference in performance and could be useful to the performance... that just depends on your room.
To the latter suggestion, you may not even notice a change and I only make the suggestion as it is seemingly tight up on the wall and bent cords can break, thus may alleviate strain on the cord.connection.

You can futz with it if you want, but nothing other than actually moving the Sub around more than just-angling-it will likely affect anything.
:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis