Should I add additional speakers to my 9.4.2 setup?

macson

macson

Audiophyte
I just finished setting up my 9.4.2 home theater. I also have 4 Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I'm not using, a power amp with four spare channels and a Marantz receiver with pre-amp outs for F, C, S, SB, and HEIGHT. This means that I could add four more speakers to my 9.4.2 system at no additional cost but should I? If the answer is yes which outputs should I use?
Thanks,
Scott

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just because you have pre-outs doesn't mean you necessarily have the processing....which avr do you have? It can process 17.1 ch?

macson

macson

Audiophyte
Oops I got it all wrong (I obvious can't count) … I have 7 base (F,C,S,SB), 4 height, and 2 subs. I have a Marantz SR-6011 9.2 receiver. Yes my question was about adding additional speakers to channels where I already have speakers (which I asked very poorly).
Scott

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious as to room dimensions and distance from back wall. Might end with ten pounds of poop in a five pound hat!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The 6011 can process 11 channels. if you have four height speakers, you are running a 7.1.4 system. The .1 designates the LFE channel regardless of the number of actual subs. You are currently at the receiver's processing limit and have no additional processing channels available for use with additional external amps and speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Here is my current setup.
View attachment 60734
You should not add more speakers. Unless you have a very large room, that is the optimal set up and more speakers becomes a downgrade. I have that 7.2.4 set up and it works perfectly. Yesterday one of my sons played "All quiet on the Western Front". I am very glad my surrounds and backs are high powered speakers. There were enormous explosions coming from the surrounds and especially the rear backs, that would have blown small speakers apart. If movies are going to mixed like that, then all speakers will need high power handling.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oops I got it all wrong (I obvious can't count) … I have 7 base (F,C,S,SB), 4 height, and 2 subs. I have a Marantz SR-6011 9.2 receiver. Yes my question was about adding additional speakers to channels where I already have speakers (which I asked very poorly).
Scott
I wouldn't want to double speakers up on a channel. Why do you want to? (other than having speakers/amp sitting around)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis