short speaker cables or short component cable

M

mdistel

Audiophyte
I'm choosing the location of my equipment for my home theater and I'm not sure whether it would be better to place the receiver closer to the main speakers or closer to the projector?

option 1: place receier between main speakers, very short run. I'm more of an audio fanatic than video so this is appealing.

option 2: try to place the equipment at the side of room splitting the distance between speakers and projector. May be akward to have along a side wall.

option 3: place receiver at back of room and run long speaker wires, ~30/21ft.

Thanks,

Mark

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Mark;

Its actually best to keep your video and audio interconnects as short as possible. Long speaker cable runs aren't an issue if you use sufficient gauge (10AWG or so). However, I am still more into option#1 as I like to see my gear up front, but thats just me. Make sure you use quality video cable for your runs (75ohm, foil/braid shield combo, etc).

M

mdistel

Audiophyte
In that case, I guess it does make the most sense to place the components near the rear and run longer speaker cables. I currently am using really thick AR cables that I purchased several years ago. They're a bit to short so I'll have to invest in some more cable.

Mark

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Mark;

I hope its not the AR cable that has about 1/2" space between conductors like the ones we previously reviewed here . If so, I recommend ditching it and replacing with some good 10AWG Zip cord or Canare 4S11.

M

mdistel

Audiophyte
No, it just looks like regular cable. I checked the cable, it is AR 12 guage. Maybe it is time for an upgrade.

Mark

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Long speaker runs are to be avoided when possible. Since the length of the cable affects resistance, you can offset the longer runs by using a larger diameter cable.

Interconnects can be more prone to picking up EMI/RFI, but other than that, the losses are far smaller with line levels than with the output stage. If you have long interconnect runs, try to use balanced interconnects to cut down on noise. I would much rather have long interconnects and the amps close to the speakers if there is an option.

I've got my stuff behind the projector screen in a storage room. I've found whether watching movies or listening to music, it's a lot less distracting not having a room full of blinky lights.

The only thing in the listening room is a universal player. For music, the projector screen retracts and there's a door behind it that allows access to the rest of the gear in case I want to play vinyl or make some adjustments. An RF remote extender allows control of the devices that are out of sight.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis