Sherbourn's SR-8100 Receiver Reviewed

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The SR-8100 is definitely a custom install oriented product. It's thin (good for tight spaces), comes with rack mount ears (not common), and has above average build quality for its class (installer oriented products often do). It even has analog multichannel inputs when most manufacturers are dropping them from sub $1k receivers. However, it lacks multichannel preouts, a USB port (it has one, but it's only for firmware updates), and any network features.

What do you think, can the rest of the receiver make up for some of the missing features?

Watch the full SR-8100 Receiver Video Review

B

bootman

Audioholic Intern
Measurements?

No preouts means no amp upgrade so the lack of amp measurements is really puzzling.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
21" deep :eek:

Good luck fitting that into the average consumer-level media furniture. Kind of defeats the point of "slim"

Edit: Waaaait a minute. The specs in the drop-down indicate WxHxD as 22x8.5x21. But the article says "only 4.5" tall".

I call shenanigans

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0

Good luck fitting that into the average consumer-level media furniture. Kind of defeats the point of "slim"

Edit: Waaaait a minute. The specs in the drop-down indicate WxHxD as 22x8.5x21. But the article says "only 4.5" tall".

I call shenanigans
From Sherbourn's website:

Boxed size: 17” wide x 4” high x 16.5” deep (includes feet and connectors, no rack kit)
Unboxed size: 22" wide x 8.5" high x 21" deep
I'm assuming they've got it backwards.

A

avengineer

Banned

I call shenanigans
The drop specs show the boxed size, and the width and length are swapped. Shenanigans....if that's a synonym for human error.

A

avengineer

Banned
Measurements?

No preouts means no amp upgrade so the lack of amp measurements is really puzzling.
Did you ever notice how the reviews here that do have measurements are done only by certain people? Unlikely they outfit every reviewer with a complete lab. Measurements would be nice, but not that important really for a unit in this price range. Sort of like the lack of pre outs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Did you ever notice how the reviews here that do have measurements are done only by certain people? Unlikely they outfit every reviewer with a complete lab. Measurements would be nice, but not that important really for a unit in this price range. Sort of like the lack of pre outs.
I'm sure you are correct that only a certain few have the lab and the expertise to make proper measurements.

The other side of the coin is that for best comparisons of measurements it is best to have all measurements performed by 1 person on the same equipment. In my field (chemistry), when I am collecting data and want best reproducibility, I assign the project to 1 person to remove person to person variation. Of course, sometimes the person to person variation is what I need to investigate on real-world results.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
I'm sure you are correct that only a certain few have the lab and the expertise to make proper measurements.

The other side of the coin is that for best comparisons of measurements it is best to have all measurements performed by 1 person on the same equipment. In my field (chemistry), when I am collecting data and want best reproducibility, I assign the project to 1 person to remove person to person variation. Of course, sometimes the person to person variation is what I need to investigate on real-world results.
This is something we are in talks about.

If we do measurements, we want to make sure they are above reproach, which means that Gene basically needs to do them (for amps, that is). He has the EE degree, experience, and equipment.

It is possible for one person to write up the review, and then ship the product to Gene for measurements. This is actually how many print AV magazines work. One person does the review, another does measurements, and sometimes a 3rd will do photography. Obviously, this process is expensive and time consuming. However, we follow this process for some reviews. For example, we have an upcoming review of the Outlaw RR-2150 Stereo RetroReceiver that I am reviewing and then shipping to Gene for measurements.

So, we try to reach a happy medium where we measure products that we feel really warrant the full service.

FYI - We still have the SR-8100 on hand, and plan to do measurements. Waiting for them to be complete would have pushed the review back a few weeks, so we figured it was better to publish now and add measurements later.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
In my field (chemistry), when I am collecting data and want best reproducibility, I assign the project to 1 person to remove person to person variation. Of course, sometimes the person to person variation is what I need to investigate on real-world results.
Inter-coder reliability, or inter-rater reliability, as we call it in the social sciences.

B

bootman

Audioholic Intern
The lack of preouts is exactly why amp measurements would be an important part of the review.
If they had them I would not care about the internal amps as much, since they are not there, they now become vital. :)

Anyway, measurement appear to be coming in a future update. :)

B

Bfaulk

Audiophyte
A bit disappointed so far...

I purchased 2 of these receivers and received them on Monday. Absolutely in love with the sound quality and really admire what sherbourn/emotiva have done.

I've had a few issues and emailed sherbourn but have not yet had a reply after a few days.

One of the unit was received damaged (box was fine) and had stripped screws and a dent on the side. Discouraging. At least that unit is performing well. The other unit has consistent hdmi dropouts (regardless of source, cable, etc) and now has a constant buzz through all the speakers and especially loud through the surround left. Also have the occasional glitch with the menus (test tone has a hard time displaying the correct speaker name... Right now I have 2 surround rights, previously my subwoofer test tone was surround left, etc.)

I'm hoping I just have a bad unit, I'd love to keep this thing. But for now, I might have to put my pioneer elite or Yamaha Aventage back in my system. If a rep from sherbourn reads these posts, please get back to me!

Brian

S

svenyun

Audiophyte
Ouch. Was hoping Emotiva could get it right this time, given their prior difficulties. This Sherbourn (UMC-200 / UPA-700 in a box) is great on paper, I really think it has potential. I just need a basic receiver without all the usual fluff they come with these days. Look forward to seeing the amp measurements.

A

avengineer

Banned
The lack of preouts is exactly why amp measurements would be an important part of the review.
If they had them I would not care about the internal amps as much, since they are not there, they now become vital. :)

Anyway, measurement appear to be coming in a future update. :)
You know what would be nice? If they actually published specs on the amps...at all! The output power "spec" isn't in the "specifications section of their web site. You can find it in the "overview". No response figures, but frankly, when have power amp specs (other than output power) meant much these days? They are all ruler flat from DC to blue light into a resistor, +/- 3dB.

Looking forward to real measurements.

Seriously, though...you want pre outs at $600? The back panel isn't quite big enough. It is what it is, and it's not a high-end unit, just a nice sorta high-ish low-end unit.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
You know what would be nice? If they actually published specs on the amps...at all! The output power "spec" isn't in the "specifications section of their web site. You can find it in the "overview". No response figures, but frankly, when have power amp specs (other than output power) meant much these days? They are all ruler flat from DC to blue light into a resistor, +/- 3dB.

Seriously, though...you want pre outs at $600? The back panel isn't quite big enough. It is what it is, and it's not a high-end unit, just a nice sorta high-ish low-end unit.
I agree. I think amplifier specs, other than an output spec, are pretty silly on mainstream products these days. This unit seems to be designed for wife approval purposes by being unobtrusive or for fitting in a limited space. It should fill that role well like the smaller Marantz units. Even my $200 bedrom AVR has preamp outputs.

A

avengineer

Banned
...Even my $200 bedrom AVR has preamp outputs.
Ok, perhaps I have the wrong perspective. I recently looked at a few AVRs, couldn't find pre outs on anything but the $1000+ units, perhaps a bit lower. But it was not an exhaustive survey.

B

bootman

Audioholic Intern

For an original price of $899 yes preouts would be nice.
This $599 is a sellout price.
Once they are gone, they are gone. ;)

Not knocking this product. for what it is it is pretty nice.
Just need to know what the amps really give us since we have little info on them.
Too much to ask here? ;)

A

avengineer

Banned
For an original price of $899 yes preouts would be nice.
This $599 is a sellout price.
Good point.
Not knocking this product. for what it is it is pretty nice.
Just need to know what the amps really give us since we have little info on them.
Too much to ask here? ;)
You can assume 80 WPC, all channels driven, vanishingly low THD, then clip hard above that point, and will drive 8 ohms. Doubtful there's any dynamic headroom, and probably quiet enough not to hear noise in the typical HT. Beyond that, it's doubtful the measurements will tell us much about how they sound, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be done.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
FYI - We still have the SR-8100 on hand, and plan to do measurements. Waiting for them to be complete would have pushed the review back a few weeks, so we figured it was better to publish now and add measurements later.
Updating a review after it's been published doesn't strike me as the ideal approach. If I understand correctly the updates for the amp are a few weeks away. It seems logical to assume that by then a huge number of people would have already read the review in it's current state, and probably won't double back to read it a second time. Personally I would rather see an evaluation be compete before it's released, not updated afterwards, even if that means it takes a little longer to be published.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis