Shelf System Recommendations

R

Razorback_Fan

Audioholic Intern
Hello all! I'm currently researching a simple shelf unit. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation? Unit must play MP3's target price is <500.00.

Thanks

Jerry

R

Razorback_Fan

Audioholic Intern
Hmmm guess no one has bought a shelf system :(

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Im not a big fan of shelf systems. Most have horrible sound and if one thing crpas out like the cd player you have to take the whole thing in to get repaired.

Do yourself a favor and go to jr.com and look at some of the inexpensive Onkyo gear. Refurbs can save alot of money and you get a warranty. Then look into a cheap DVD thats under a 100 bucks then go out and get yourself some Paradigm Atoms. All of this can be had at 500 or less. You will then have something that sounds a hell of alot better than a shelf system.

Onkyo TX-8011 or TX-8211 would be the models to look at if you can swing more I would go with one of the HK stereo receivers. Lots of clean power and there relatively cheap. 3370 or 3480 would be the model to look at.

Paradigm Atom Speakers - Go to paradigm.com and do a dealer search. These must be purchased from an authorized dealer.

R

Razorback_Fan

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the response. Maybe I should have added that I currently have a home system. I'm going to be relocating and all my personal goods will be 3 states away. So while I'm in corporate housing (Apartment) I want to have a decent shelf system to listen to. Anyother suggestions?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Well I still the think the above mentioned system will out perform a shelf system and takes up about the same space. So my theory is why buy a compromised shelf system when you can have a componet based system that gives you a ton more flexibility and far better sound quality. If you looked around just a tad you could put this system together for 400 or less. When you move back you have a great system for another room. Plus if it needs bigger speakers later you can add them. Its an all around win win situation.

Sorry dont mean to get pushy. But with audio being what it is today, shelf systems make absolutley no sense to me. IMHO

But if you must have a shelf system check this out. It sounds reasonable and on sale. If this does not work look at some of the Yamaha mini systems.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3649047

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The system by anamorphic looks pretty sweet. If you are willing to go with a refurb you can get it from JR for $199 with a one year manuf. warranty. Not sure if it does mp3's though, here's a link to Onkyo for you to go over it.Link to onkyo This thing has a ton on connectivity options. You could get the refurb and a denon 555s dvd player from JR for under $250. Also get yourself a seperate sub to fill in the lows if you want because the MC-35 has the preout. You could get all that and still be well under your $500.

You may also want to look at this JVC system because it does everything you wanted. JVC makes some nice sounding shelf systems IMO.

There is a lot of wisdom in what anamorphic is telling you. I think you would be best served by purchsing a stereo amp and a pair of bookshelfs along with a DVD/CD player. How do these grab you. Denon dvd $80 Harman Amp $229 and BIC Bookshelfs $96 . That is a total cost of around $400, and I'm certain that this setup will vastly outperform the shelf system option, even though it takes up roughy the same room. I'm not trying to be pushy, but this is the Bang for the buck. Good luck with the purchase, hope you get something you enjoy.

R

Razorback_Fan

Audioholic Intern
You guys are right

Great advice guys and after looking around and thinking about the long term option plus bang for the buck I think this is the route I will go. Thanks for all the comments and opinions.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Good advice here. A string of bad shelf systems is what got me to finally take the plunge into a "real" HT system. 3, yes, 3 Aiwa POS systems before I learned & they got hit with a class action suit--their CD players are GUARANTEED to fail. Then a Sony that, for a change of pace, had the cassette deck fail for no reason (not being used) which took out the power switch :confused: OK, I'm done venting now. ;)

In a nutshell, I would say don't even touch a bookshelf system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis