Shelf speaker upgrade

S

Slimzy

Audiophyte
Hello All

I'm new to the forum. Hope you are well. I'm no expert so please forgive any ignorance shown.

Is anyone able to advise me on which shelf speakers would be a good upgrade.

I have been using Q acoustic 2020i for the last 6 years or so. Although I like the clarity of them, I find they lack mid range base and I think they are not powerful enough for the volume level I would like (start to fart).

I am running them on a Sony dn1080 AV receiver if that's important.

Many thanks for any input

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Specs show +/-3dB at 64Hz which often means -6dB at that level, which seems consistent with their size. 6 Ohm and 88dB sensitive. Not bad, but not output beasts I'd guess, and with not a lot of extension, they will possibly "fart" as you said lol. You could set them to small and remove some of the bass going to them to prevent that, but it won't really give them more output. I'd look for something larger and higher sensitivity basically.

What's the approx budget?

S

Slimzy

Audiophyte
Thank you for your reply. Ah ok so in non technical terms... I would need bigger drivers to be able to produce bigger mids. I already set them to small speakers and crossover at about 70 or 80 hz to the sub.

I don't really want to go bigger as it might look weird on the desk its currently on. Would really prefer to find (if possible) to find something similar size (at least on the exterior).

Budget.. no idea.. could get something noticably better for under £500?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello All

I'm new to the forum. Hope you are well. I'm no expert so please forgive any ignorance shown.

Is anyone able to advise me on which shelf speakers would be a good upgrade.

I have been using Q acoustic 2020i for the last 6 years or so. Although I like the clarity of them, I find they lack mid range base and I think they are not powerful enough for the volume level I would like (start to fart).

I am running them on a Sony dn1080 AV receiver if that's important.

Many thanks for any input
Do you have to use such miserably small speakers? For their size they seem to be good performers. If you really want power in a small speaker your options are very limited. Your best option would be the Dynaudio M20. I have known those bass mids, for years, and the Morel drivers which are virtually identical. They have a unique high powered voice coil construction and are superb drivers. F3 is 50 Hz, so you will need a sub, if you want the last one and a half octaves.

I assume you are in the UK. That is why I sent you UK prices. I think this speaker may be recently discontinued, but they seem to still be available on many sites.

S

Slimzy

Audiophyte
I have a sub already. But I just thought I'd buy myself a gift and upgrade my 2 front speakers. I find myself needing to lower the base slightly on the front speakers when tuning up the volume to what I consider high. I thought there might be something more 'capable'. But if you think its not really possible for this size then oh well...

I actually am in Switzerland. I just thought quoting in pounds was easier for people here to get a rough idea of budget. Thanks for your input :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You could try experimenting with placement too. Both your sub and speakers. Subs especially like to work where they like to work and do contribute a little bit to mid bass. I'm with the guys tho, and would suggest bigger speakers too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Larger driver yes, that usually necessitates a larger cabinet too though. Small speakers have a hard time giving deeper bass. The ones that are able to do it tend to quickly go up in price. The speakers you have, you might have to cross them even higher than that.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Your receiver has plenty of power for a smaller room and if they're on a desk near you, even more room. If you're clipping them and turning it up so loud that it's chugging along, maybe its a big room or maybe something else is going on that you're turning it up really loud and hitting some limits? Unsure without more info.

If you want more mids or mid-bass or upper bass, it's not really the speaker so much as it is placement and the room itself relative to your listening position. Even a cheap speaker will have a fairly good response for mids and upper bass.

Cabinet volume greatly effects efficiency, so if you want more output, a bigger cabinet is a quick way towards that.

Very best,

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I am surprised at how little there seems to be in that size. Searches for desktop speakers mostly reveal computer speakers which are powered, but your AVR does not have pre-amp outs (maybe use the Zone2 Out?). Might as well replace the Sony with something smaller if you go with powered speakers (like Kanto or Mackie). Passive bookshelf speakers tend to be larger than the 2020i, but you don't want to go bigger. Not many options if the mid-woofer is to be under 8". You may need to move up the Q Acoustics line, like the 3030i, or consider Genelec, which makes great desktop speakers, but they can get expensive.

S

Slimzy

Audiophyte
Larger driver yes, that usually necessitates a larger cabinet too though. Small speakers have a hard time giving deeper bass. The ones that are able to do it tend to quickly go up in price. The speakers you have, you might have to cross them even higher than that.
You mean cross at a lower frequency no? I.e around 70hz and then anything above will go to the sub. Right ? (Right now have it on 80hz)

Thanks everyone else for your input. And yes sometimes I like to put it really loud. I'll have a look at the 3030i or generic :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You mean cross at a lower frequency no? I.e around 70hz and then anything above will go to the sub. Right ? (Right now have it on 80hz)
No, he means higher. Like 90, 100 or even 120 with those speakers. Anything below will go to the sub.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

Thanks everyone else for your input. And yes sometimes I like to put it really loud. I'll have a look at the 3030i or generic :)
Most of Genelec's offerings are active (powered) speakers and require a line level signal. They work great with an external DAC. I'm not sure what they have available in passive models. They are also used by studios so sometimes you have to look at music/studio shops to find them. Kanto makes good powered speakers that are more affordable. Hard to find a truly good passive desktop speaker in that size. Moving up to a 8x12" (20x30cm) speaker opens up a lot of possibilities.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Agree with Pogre as to where you might set a crossover for smaller speakers, and don't forget a crossover is not a brick wall, just a crossover point in the slopes of the lpf and hpf. Some speakers are better at really loud than others. While the 3030i's 6.5" midwoof is bigger than the 5" on the 2020i....I'd aim for bigger/more capable speakers if you like it really loud.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree with Pogre as to where you might set a crossover for smaller speakers, and don't forget a crossover is not a brick wall, just a crossover point in the slopes of the lpf and hpf. Some speakers are better at really loud than others. While the 3030i's 6.5" midwoof is bigger than the 5" on the 2020i....I'd aim for bigger/more capable speakers if you like it really loud.
Yup. Most bigger speakers are just inherently more efficient, therefore more dynamic and can play louder. Hoffmann's Iron Law and all.

As far as a higher crossover the rule of thumb is one octave up, which would be 140 hz for yours if they go down to 70. That to me is a bit high and I'd try 90, then 100, etc. My speakers are rated to 40 hz and I go with 80 hz crossover. I used 120 with my Ultra towers and they were good to 30 hz! I was missing bass from around 60 - 100 hz with a lower crossover and that's just what worked.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Find a way to place the larger Q A 3020i speakers, they will be better than the 2020i and will have some bass

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis