Sharp Crack from Speakers - Have I damaged them?

timechaser

timechaser

Audioholic Intern
My setup is described in my sig so wont repeat it. I have the crossover on the amp to 90hz. Yesterday while playing a CD, I turned up the volume to -5db (which I thought was okay, given the power rating for the amp etc.). There was a sharp crack from (I assume) one of the speakers... I immediately switched everything off. After some time I restarted and ran the setup on the yamaha and the speakers seemed fine. Watched a movie and they seemed fine again.

I am at a loss to describe what happened here - help me out please! Could I have damaged my speakers in some way?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
It is hard to say what, exactly, happened, without more details. It could have been a speaker reaching the end of its excursion, or it could be an issue with your amplifier. It is possible that you have damaged something, but if everything sounds okay, you probably didn't. I recommend, however, that you don't play things that loud in the future. You may not be so lucky the second time.

timechaser

timechaser

Audioholic Intern
Pyrrho - thanks for that. Being a total noob - I have to ask this question. What exactly is the "excursion" on the speakers?

More info abt the setup - the speakers are sattelites, with a frequency response of 80hz - 22 khz and power range of 20w to 100w. My yamaha has a "on paper" power output of 100w per channel in 7 channel mode - I suspect it is actually more like 40-50 watts per channel in 5 channel mode so I dont think I breached the upper power limit on the speaker. I have the crossover on the amp at 90hz.

Apart from not using louder volumes, is there things I can do to make sure this doesnt happen again? Maybe use a higher crossover?

Thanks a lot.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
The end of the excursion of a speaker is the point at which a speaker, which goes back and forth to produce sound, can go no further. You can hear a thud or whack when you slam a speaker into itself by feeding it too much power. Sometimes, this does no noticeable damage, but if you push it too much, it can be ruined. Take a look at:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker.htm

More specifically, look at the diagram at:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker3.htm

You will need to click on it to "dissect" it, and look at the voice coil, and think about what happens if it goes too far toward the magnet in the back. You can have another bad problem by having it come forward too much.

You can see it in movement at:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker5.htm

Your Yamaha is capable of delivering a full 100 watts into one channel continuously, and more for a brief moment, so it is likely that it can push your speakers to such a point.

If you set the crossover to a higher point, it is likely that you can play it a bit louder, though it really depends on the fequency content of what you are playing. The downside to doing that is that you are more likely to notice where your subwoofer is from the sound, because as you go from deep bass to higher frequencies, your ability to localize the sound (i.e., tell what direction it is coming from) increases. Still, it is worth a try if you really want to play things louder. But be careful, as the next time you hear such a sound as you describe from your speaker may be the last time it works.

If you really like things loud, you need to get speakers that are capable of making loud sounds. However, if you value your ability to hear, you will want to keep it within reason anyway, as loud sounds lead to deafness. You can search the internet for information on such things. Many people damage their hearing with their audio equipment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis