Sharp CP-9800 Speakers. Need Info !

M

mgwalter828

Enthusiast
I have an opportunity to purchase a nearly mint condition set (2) of Sharp CP-9800 Speakers for $80.00. The only problem is that I can't find any information on them to study the compatability for use with my Pioneer D508 receiver. Can anyone suggest any websites or provide any info on this potential purchase. All comments appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No offense, but when thinking of speaker manufacturers of note, Sharp is not one of the names that spring to mind.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
for slightly more you can get a brand new pair of speakers that would be much better than Sharp. These speakers were with a Sharp mini system that didnt sell for much more than the $80 asking price ;)

M

mgwalter828

Enthusiast
You stated that they were a part of a Sharp Mini System. Wow. These speakers are monsters standing at about 48" in height, about 18-24" W and 18-24" in depth. They have the one large , two mid range, and two smaller tweeter cones. Hard to believe that they are part of a mini system. The cabinets are actually wood as well with detachable & standoff Grill Covers. Could they actually be mislabeled ?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You seem to equate big with good. Not necessarially the case.

If you really, really feel they are that good, why do you need our affirmation.

M

mgwalter828

Enthusiast
No offense, but when thinking of speaker manufacturers of note, Sharp is not one of the names that spring to mind.
Yeah I know. Got a good start on a surround sound speaker set and just thought that they would be a good economical addition if they were of any quality at all. Working with a small budget and can only add a piece or two at a time. Not my first or best choice by any means. Thanks .

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Riddle me this, Batman.

Don't you think that if they were of any note they would be referenced somewhere in this big old internet? :confused:

Unless you'r ehung up on their nsize, you might want to look elsewhere, even http://www.audiovisor.com for some new (but smaller) speakers on special, but you might want to up your budget somewhat.

M

mgwalter828

Enthusiast
You seem to equate big with good. Not necessarially the case.

If you really, really feel they are that good, why do you need our affirmation.
I have no opinion or knowledge on their quality, and on loudspeakers in general. I'm a newbie on this stuff and seek the counsel of you guys that are much wiser than I in this area. I'm just amazed that they evidently put more money and research into the cosmetics rather than the technology. Im a computer tech, not a sound guy and my I offer my apologies for any wrong impressions that I may have gave you. I appreciate all of your comments and insight.

M

mgwalter828

Enthusiast
Don't you think that if they were of any note they would be referenced somewhere in this big old internet? :confused:

Unless you'r ehung up on their nsize, you might want to look elsewhere, even XXXX for some new (but smaller) speakers on special, but you might want to up your budget somewhat.
That is very true. Not often that you can't find info about something on the Net. Yes I agree, a bigger budget is definitely in order. Thanks for the site link, I'll be checking it out for sure.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I have no opinion or knowledge on their quality, and on loudspeakers in general. I'm a newbie on this stuff and seek the counsel of you guys that are much wiser than I in this area. I'm just amazed that they evidently put more money and research into the cosmetics rather than the technology. Im a computer tech, not a sound guy and my I offer my apologies for any wrong impressions that I may have gave you. I appreciate all of your comments and insight.
It's easy to put big, cheap speakers into glitzy, flimsy enclousres and sell the flabby, blotated, tubby sound with no "real" bass to the uninitiated. For many people, that's all they ever heard and think that's the best there is.

If you want better sound, just ask. this is the place.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Quick question - have you had a chance to listen to them? If so, what did you think of them?

Can the seller tell you the nominal impedance of those speakers? Perhaps the seller have the owner's manual that might have that information, or it might even be on a label next to the speaker terminals. That's important information for deciding if the speakers should be used with a particular receiver. Low impedance speakers (4 Ohms nominal and lower) can be a challenge for some receivers because of the increased current draw.

L

lewman53

Audiophyte
set of sharp 9800 in living room/great disco speakers unreal bass/15 inch woofers/overall audio is great/powered by H and K citation twenty four power amp and luxman pre amp plus BBE sonic maximize/also have def. tech. 7004 speakers.using sharps at this time. impressive sound for speakers made 22 yrs, earlier/9860 sharp power amp with speakers 50 pounds/150 rms watts per channel also impressive. part of sharp system/only works with the original sharp electronics [cut the one system cord replace with 12volt 1amp power plug] plug both power plugs into outlet/now power amp works with other equipment /NOT A MINI SYSTEM B. S. each speaker weighs 65 pounds

L

lewman53

Audiophyte
the review of sept,13/2020 sharp speakers are the 9860 /not 9800 sorry my mistake/9860 are good quality speakers

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
the review of sept,13/2020 sharp speakers are the 9860 /not 9800 sorry my mistake/9860 are good quality speakers
Dang looks like everyone just ghosted this thread , you could maybe make your own post on your opinion of these rare speakers.
2009 dang this is a old thread ..

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis