Shark Week On Discovery

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Did anyone catch "Anatomy of a shark bite"? They actually show the guy's calf being bitten off by a Bull shark!

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Hopefully it wasn't yours or Clint's:eek: I'm sure they filmed it at the beach you guys frequent.:p Missed that one. Would like to see it, though. Maybe I can catch it on the rewind. Iv'e always been fascinated by sharks. Skeered (that's scared for you folks what don't live in the South) of them, but fascinated.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hopefully it wasn't yours or Clint's:eek: I'm sure they filmed it at the beach you guys frequent.:p Missed that one. Would like to see it, though. Maybe I can catch it on the rewind. Iv'e always been fascinated by sharks. Skeered (that's scared for you folks what don't live in the South) of them, but fascinated.
A few factoids, Florida holds two dubious titles! 1. Lightning capital of the world, 2. Shark bite capital of the world. According to stats, Florida's shark attacks have a 99% survival rate, the best in the world. Most attacks occur in waters under 5 feet deep. The most dangerous species frequent our waters. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than being bitten by a shark (unless you live down here then you're screwed, you'll get zapped by lightning as you're walking on the beach, you fall into three feet of water and a bullshark rips off your leg!) A bull shark has more testosterone than a bull and it's very aggressive, known to bite anything in the water, including boats and their props.

Apart from that come on down! The water's fine!

P.S. The attack was filmed in Walker's Cay in the Bahamas, luckily there was an airplane standing by and the victim was taken to Palm Beach for surgery, a 45 minute flight. He survived, didn't lose his leg, his calf is gone (obviously) and the guy's back in the water. Scientists, who can figure them out.

I saw it again last night. Guy gets back in the water years later and narration says something like "yep, see, we must have done something initially to provoke the attack... sharks really don't bite peope for no reason..."

Scientists can be stupid and "unscientific" just like anyone else.

Sharks bite people for no reason... same way lion tamers get attacked for no reason.... same reason Pit bulls attack for no reason. What does it mean to be "threatened" - that's up to the shark, not you. If you're in the water you're a potential meal and subject to statistics. Period.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Who was dummer? The scientist with no calf or the reporter he talked into the water with him?? LOL! What I don't get is, why wasn't he wearing a shark suit? Bull sharks are nastier than Great Whites. The man was down right stupid scientist or not.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Who was dummer?
Or who was dumber?:) Or more dumb?:) :)

Living dangerously. Not really. Experiencing danger.

Those of us with dangerous jobs have no incentive to get on that roller-coaster ride (unless our ten year old refuses to get on without us) or jump in the shark tank.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Or who was dumber?:) Or more dumb?:) :)

Living dangerously. Not really. Experiencing danger.

Those of us with dangerous jobs have no incentive to get on that roller-coaster ride (unless our ten year old refuses to get on without us) or jump in the shark tank.
Typo, sorry. Ais kin spill, ok?

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
On another note, I thought the episode last night on the Tiger sharks was the best so far. One troubling pattern I'm noticing with scientists and photographers is swimming with these monsters outside of the cage to prove a point (they're "gentle" giants that are just curious) it reminds me of Timothy Treadwell (sp?) the guy who thought he could live with kodiak grizzlies, untill he ran into snaggle tooth, an old bear that could hardly hunt, well let's just say Timothy wasn't into bears after that, he was in the bear and unfortunately so was his girlfriend, all they found was some ribs and part of a skull, later they killed the bear and ooops there was Tim. You can't be foolish around wild animals.

annunaki

annunaki

I am going to Florida next month. Quit scaring me!! :eek: I woun't be going into the ocean past my knees now. Thanks a lot! :( :D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I am going to Florida next month. Quit scaring me!! :eek: I woun't be going into the ocean past my knees now. Thanks a lot! :( :D
What part of Florida? For some reason, Daytona, New Smyrma Beach and the Gulf side (murkier waters) of the state seem to be the "hot" spots, don't be scared like I said odds are that a plane will fall on your head before one of our toothy denisens might want an "annunaki panini", all kidding aside if you see baitfish near a sandbar, be carefull, also if you see surf fishermen, stay away from those, they usually have bait around them and they get hit, also avoid river mouths, there you'll find bullsharks waiting for stuff to come floating downstream, don't swim at sunset or sundown (feeding time), no blood on the water (scratches, etc) and just use common sense. I lived here all my life I've been in waters where there are sharks, no problem. You wouldn't believe how many times you're on the beach and you have been "checked out" by a shark, you just don't know they're there, haven't you seen the news footage of bathers on the beach and sharks a few hundred yards away? They know those people are there, it's just that humans aren't on the menu. Most attacks are exploratory. There are two sharks that give me the creeps: Tigers (they've become rare due to overfishing) and Bullsharks, those are plenty they're mean, nasty, s.o.b s. But like I said what are the odds? Just enjoy yourself.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Stratman, judging from who your avatar... you must have stale meat..

So old a caveman, even bullsharks turn around and leave...

Lol...j/k...

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Stratman, judging from who your avatar... you must have stale meat..

So old a caveman, even bullsharks turn around and leave...

Lol...j/k...
No my friend, not stale.....rock hard;):D:D Sharks can't touch this.:D

majorloser

majorloser

Jaws Retired to Florida Beach Condo

I don't even think twice about sharks in the water. I lived in Florida all my life and dived or snorkled since I was a kid. Seen many a sharks and many 'cudas. I more worried about getting tangled up in a Portuguese Man o' War when they start washing in toward shore. Them damn things hurt :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Typo, sorry. Ais kin spill, ok?
Dummer.
So that's what all that private schoolin' got you, eh? Sorry, I couldn't resist:eek:

JK! I love you, man!

Yeah, from what I've read and seen on the tube, knee deep can mean no leg below the knee:eek: Better stick to the pool. At least there the sharks have two legs.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Dummer.
So that's what all that private schoolin' got you, eh? Sorry, I couldn't resist:eek:

JK! I love you, man!

Yeah, from what I've read and seen on the tube, knee deep can mean no leg below the knee:eek: Better stick to the pool. At least there the sharks have two legs.
Hey unlike others I don't juse spill sheck okeiy! Land shark, reminds me of Saturday Night Live after the movie Jaws came out!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Dummer.
So that's what all that private schoolin' got you, eh?
The Dukester...a pugilist at heart.

Isn't that hilarious, "Dummer?";)

Despite Stratman's new television show due out this fall "Cavmen", along with his fellow Neanderthals, he never saw the movie Dumb and Dumber. Stratman, you are fun to poke at, but all in good fun.;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The Dukester...a pugilist at heart.

Isn't that hilarious, "Dummer?";)

Despite Stratman's new television show due out this fall "Cavmen", along with his fellow Neanderthals, he never saw the movie Dumb and Dumber. Stratman, you are fun to poke at, but all in good fun.;)
Hey John,

I have thick hide, er...fur. Besides, my wife does a great job of poking fun at me. Dumb and "Dummer" great movie, remember the bathroom scene? We'll we knew this female "hot shot" skier (at least she thought she was) and believe it or not she went through that, only worse. It happens that she starts bragging to a group of five vodka drinking gonzo skiers that she can outdrink them, well she tried, she ended inebriated in the bathroom, defecating all over herself, which she then proceeded to smear on the walls in her drunken stupor, one of the guy's wife had to go in there, hose her down, don rubber gloves and scrub the walls. Next day she acted as if nothing happened.:eek: And that's a true story my friend! When they got back to Miami, a week later Dumb and Dumber debuted on the big screen and of course you can imagine the laughter at the movies, she turned down many an invite to watch that fateful flick. She was snotty and cruel to people so I took no pity on her.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis