Setup Question: Yamaha Pre Out to Ext Amp

D

dohanc

Junior Audioholic
Help! I need help in finding a way to setup my external amp with my Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver. I am looking for the volume to be controlled by the external amp only since its in a different location.

Heres the problem: The yamaha does not send a PRE-OUT fixed level output for digital inputs. I have tried the following

a. PRE-OUT. Levels are not NOT fixed level, but controlled post volume
b. ZONE 2 and ZONE 3 outputs. Digital signals are not reproduced on these outputs. The manual states DTS signals are not reproduced on the Zone 2 and zone 3 outputs. As far as I know, I am not sending a DTS signal. It's PCM, but I dont think its DTS. How do I check?
c. VCR REC OUT. The manual says this won't work since it says it does not send any digital inputs to the REC OUT jacks for VCR or DVR.

It is a huge pain for me to run two more coax lines from the computer to the receiver just to get two lousy ananlog channels. Zone 2 and 3 look like these are my best bet according to the manual, but it doesn't work! Any suggestions?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The pre-outs will always control the volume. The signal is after the pre-amp and before the amplifier.

Some receivers will allow you to set fixed or variable output for the Zone 2 outputs (not sure if the Yamaha will). However, all receivers are the same in that they will not send a digital signal to Zone 2 nor will they convert a digital signal to analog and send it out any of the analog outputs (like tape out).

If you want to feed the amp from the Zone 2 pre-out you must have any source you want to play connected via analog inputs. Note that PCM is digital too.

D

dohanc

Junior Audioholic
I actually made a mistake in the first post. The manual does clearly state it won't decode digital signals. I find this suprising since it obviously decodes at least the front two channels into an analog output for the internal amplifier.

I was even thinking I might have to buy a new receiver, but you make it sound like all receivers won't do this, or at least they will be hard to find.

I suppose I've settled on having to run two more coax lines for analog. It's getting to be quite a bundle coming out of the wall.

BTW, the Yamaha does have the Fixed Output for Zone 2/3. I wish it had the same for the Pre-Outs. Oh well :(

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Most of them do it this way. Only a few have digital capability for the 2nd zone, but they're not cheap.

B

bcycle

Junior Audioholic
I actually made a mistake in the first post. The manual does clearly state it won't decode digital signals. I find this suprising since it obviously decodes at least the front two channels into an analog output for the internal amplifier.

I was even thinking I might have to buy a new receiver, but you make it sound like all receivers won't do this, or at least they will be hard to find.

I suppose I've settled on having to run two more coax lines for analog. It's getting to be quite a bundle coming out of the wall.

BTW, the Yamaha does have the Fixed Output for Zone 2/3. I wish it had the same for the Pre-Outs. Oh well :(
Your receiver will decode DTS encoded programs (DTS, DTS Matrix 6.1, Descrete 6.1) to 6 or 6.1 channels.

I'm curious as to why you need a digital signal to the external amp. Is it because that amp is for a surround setup? In that case is it a straight amp or a receiver and/or integrated with digital inputs?

If you do need a digital out signal you could try connecting an optical (toslink) cable to the Yamaha's digital MD/Tape output and switch the "record out" monitor to MD/Tape. Then, all signals going into the Yamaha will be output at a fixed volume level digitally to that output. Of course you will need to run a fiber optic cable. Hope this helps.

Greg

D

dohanc

Junior Audioholic
I don't want to send digital out to the external amp at all. I was two channels of analog out. It's a pro power amplifier in a rack to PA speakers in the garage. So I'm simply looking for a pre-volume analog output. Doesn't sound like I'm getting that since the input is PCM.

My comment before was that I am suprised the receiver doesn't decode the digital input to the analog outputs for recording output and Zone 2/3 outputs. It obviously decodes for the internal amplifier but it doesn't route that decoding to any other outputs (besides digital outs).

S

SRich

Audiophyte
Help! I need help in finding a way to setup my external amp with my Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver. I am looking for the volume to be controlled by the external amp only since its in a different location.

Heres the problem: The yamaha does not send a PRE-OUT fixed level output for digital inputs. I have tried the following

a. PRE-OUT. Levels are not NOT fixed level, but controlled post volume
b. ZONE 2 and ZONE 3 outputs. Digital signals are not reproduced on these outputs. The manual states DTS signals are not reproduced on the Zone 2 and zone 3 outputs. As far as I know, I am not sending a DTS signal. It's PCM, but I dont think its DTS. How do I check?
c. VCR REC OUT. The manual says this won't work since it says it does not send any digital inputs to the REC OUT jacks for VCR or DVR.

It is a huge pain for me to run two more coax lines from the computer to the receiver just to get two lousy ananlog channels. Zone 2 and 3 look like these are my best bet according to the manual, but it doesn't work! Any suggestions?
[

I had the same problem. Some background. I swapped out a Yamaha RX-V995 with a RX-V685. It was\is connected to a Yamaha A-S500 amplifier from the pre-out jacks on the back of both receivers. In turn the amplifier ran 10 wired pairs of speakers in various rooms.

This is how I fixed it:

On the remote control, I set the small button on the top to zone 2 (make sure zone 2 is turned on by hitting power). Then I hit the input button until I reached the appropriate input. In my case it was main synchronization. Worked fine after that.

S

SRich

Audiophyte
I had the same problem. Some background. I swapped out a Yamaha RX-V995 with a RX-V685. It was\is connected to a Yamaha A-S500 amplifier from the pre-out jacks on the back of both receivers. In turn the amplifier ran 10 wired pairs of speakers in various rooms.

This is how I fixed it:

On the remote control, I set the small button on the top to zone 2 (make sure zone 2 is turned on by hitting power). Then I hit the input button until I reached the appropriate input. In my case it was main synchronization. Worked fine after that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis