Setup question or rather experience

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just got my dual SB3000’s setup and I had a little bit of a strange experience, obviously need to rerun Audessey but I was just curious what exactly is going on. For the first time ever Audessey correctly set my mains (Focal Chorus V) to small with a 50hz crossover point, never had it do this and always had to manually change it. Anyway on to the main part that I’m just curious about. I got the subs used and forgot to factory reset them, only thing I needed to change is one was 180 out of phase which I corrected after running audessey accidentally. It was a lot of fun at first and I figured I could just turn the bass down in the SVS app when I want but some movies the bass still comes in a bit too hot and punchy for the content playing. For some reason my Audessey app won’t connect so I can’t post measurements but I’m just curious what is likely going on.

Had a house full of teenage girls for Memorial Day weekend so I haven’t had a chance to rerun Audessey but they definitely enjoyed this setup while listening to pop and rap all weekend.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the bass is too hot, it sounds like a calibration problem. You would need some in-room measurements to be sure. I would try looking at EQ settings on the subs themselves, in Audyssey, and at any other point of the receiver's processing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. Maybe the music preset is on, or the previous owner jacked one of the bands up etc. Could very easily be a mode, but again, in room measurements are needed to see that. For the investment made in subs, a umik and rew is really a small addition to make sure you get dialed in.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Have no idea about the problem with your phone, but bass levels often vary from one movie to the next.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree. Maybe the music preset is on, or the previous owner jacked one of the bands up etc. Could very easily be a mode, but again, in room measurements are needed to see that. For the investment made in subs, a umik and rew is really a small addition to make sure you get dialed in.
I have a Umik and REW just never learned to use it properly, ADHD and all. I wish someone would write a more user friendly REW UI, I’ve been on the forums a long time but mostly read for fun, much more of a hands on learner.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have a Umik and REW just never learned to use it properly, ADHD and all. I wish someone would write a more user friendly REW UI, I’ve been on the forums a long time but mostly read for fun, much more of a hands on learner.
Has anyone directly helped you? Or have you just surfed? Rew’s creator John is a member at av nirvana and used to be very active, maybe still is. A few guys here might be willing to help, as the many on the “other” forum. I know @WaynePflughaupt is fairly proficient as well. I might be able to get you close, but I have to hit n run so much these days lol.
The main thing is that once you get the few basic pieces of framework to understand it, it’s really not too hard, even for those who struggle with the concepts involved.(i don’t know your aptitude, just sayin is all).
Maybe a new thread will get the exposure you need.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
There are lots of tutorials on Youtube which may be beneficial. This one is linked in REW's web page:

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
It is not the cut and paste easiest technology to use. You just need someone on the phone with you (FaceTime) to help you set it up through the NON intuitive beginning choices.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis