J

jaypee

Audiophyte
I just moved in to a condo and preemptively bought a projector for my home-theater setup. I planned on mounting it to the ceiling and then creating a screen with white seamless paper or white vinyl on the wall (my walls are not white). However, the leaser of the condo is making me keep a wall mount on the wall (with some nasty screws in it). To add to the problems, where I want to mount my projector is where an air-conditioning vent exists... so I can't really drill in to the ceiling.

To combat the wall mount issue I've decided to build a screen that can utilize the wall mount as support to hold the screen on the wall. I'm thinking of constructing the screen out of wood with a beam in the middle to put on the wall mount, some wood on the back and then stapling a white sheet to the back wood (or using the high-gain paint). Any thoughts or better ideas than what I’ve said?

To combat the ceiling issue I've thought of just buying a really tall entertainment stand (I need to buy an entertainment stand for my DVD player / receiver / etc) and just putting the projector on top of that. I can’t find a stand that tall I will either have to put a shelf on the ceiling and mount the projector on the shelf (shelf mounted on the wall), or just rig something very awful. Any thoughts or better ideas than what I’ve said?

My projector is a MITSUBISHI HC1500. If you need pictures or anything let me know!

Thanks

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Nothing you've mentioned is an impossibility.

1. Screen: You can get a pull down screen or you can go the DIY route and build your own. Depending on the mount that you have to leave in the wall you may be able to mount the screens to that, or over it. I would need a picture to really get an idea of what the mount looks like.

2. Projector/Mounting Location: Depending on your projector, you may be able to move the mounting location closer or further away from the screen to get around the A/C vent. Then you can adjust the size with the lens. You may be able to purchase a projector mount like the Chief LCD-2TS/LCD-2C - Projector Stacking Table Stand/Ceiling Mount. Depending on how large your vent is you may be able to anchor the mount to the side of it and have the projector supported underneath the vent. What about a table top operation. Would that work for you/

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
If the vent isnt too large, which I assume its not, many Projectors can shift image from up to several feet off center, as long as it is not a dramatic amount you can still mount up on ceiling and get good results. Dramatic shifts get into correction that muckers up picture but like I said if it is only a foot or so you should be in pretty good shape, I played around with my shift before I mounted it while throwing image on wall and was surprised how much it could be adjusted.

J

jaypee

Audiophyte
Cam phone from eNV... it's the best I have :/ Also, sorry I had to break the links... this being my third post and it being 5am this is the easiest way to do this.

1) jpcell. com/p/wall1.jpg and jpcell. com/p/wall2.jpg
IT can support 150 lbs so I think it will be good, just am trying to think if there is a better way (perhaps an art supply store for a canvas?).

2) jpcell. com/p/ceiling.jpg
The ceiling really screws me here, and based on power outlets and my room directly to the left of the vent is the only space to put the projector :( I'm not sure about the Cheif mount... I paid 1000 for the projector and am not sure how long I'll be in this location so the least intrusive / expensive ways are what I am aiming for (plus it's more fun that way)! The table top idea is my #1 idea right now, I just need an idea of how to get the projector that high for a fair price. If not, mounting a shelf on the wall behind and then mounting the projector on the bottom of the shelf should work fine, right?

Thanks~

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Cam phone from eNV... it's the best I have :/ Also, sorry I had to break the links... this being my third post and it being 5am this is the easiest way to do this.

1) jpcell. com/p/wall1.jpg and jpcell. com/p/wall2.jpg
IT can support 150 lbs so I think it will be good, just am trying to think if there is a better way (perhaps an art supply store for a canvas?).

2) jpcell. com/p/ceiling.jpg
The ceiling really screws me here, and based on power outlets and my room directly to the left of the vent is the only space to put the projector :( I'm not sure about the Cheif mount... I paid 1000 for the projector and am not sure how long I'll be in this location so the least intrusive / expensive ways are what I am aiming for (plus it's more fun that way)! The table top idea is my #1 idea right now, I just need an idea of how to get the projector that high for a fair price. If not, mounting a shelf on the wall behind and then mounting the projector on the bottom of the shelf should work fine, right?

Thanks~
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Made my sunday morning at work! lol
www.jpcell.com/p/banana1.mp3

J

jaypee

Audiophyte
That is my ringtone, and the reason I have to keep my phone on vibrate at work :/

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
That is my ringtone, and the reason I have to keep my phone on vibrate at work :/
I think I'm gonna buy a cellphone just so I can have that ringtone when people call me. That tune makes me so happy haha.

do you have some updates on your setup?

J

jaypee

Audiophyte
I think I'm gonna buy a cellphone just so I can have that ringtone when people call me. That tune makes me so happy haha.

do you have some updates on your setup?
I have the projector hooked up in my computer lab right now on the wall. I won't be able to build a screen until next weekend (my friend with a shop in his carhold is busy) and this week I am just going to look around stores for ideas. Although, using a projector as a second monitor is pretty BA I am actually considering figuring out a way to mount it in here and just nix the TV in the den (it would be my third TV in a condo lol).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis