Setup Problem with AV7005

R

rpr2

Audiophyte
I just sold my Onkyo SC-885 and picked up the AV 7005 today. I have set up many AVR's and Pre Pro's and this seemed very simple to set up. I connected my Oppo 983, PS3, Direct TV box, and HTPC, all via HDMI. Once I set up the inputs in the setup menu I got strange results.

My Direct TV works as it should-- audio and video via hdmi is fine. However, my Oppo passes audio but no video gets to the set. I changed cables, and switched inputs to see if the problem was in the input on the 7005-- but direct tv worked fine in all hdmi inputs. When I connect the Oppo directly to my set, it does not show video via hdmi, but does via component. I did not change any settings on the Oppo while it was connected to the 885 and it worked perfectly. My set is 6 years old (Sony) and does not support 1080p so I have the resolution set to 720p on the Oppo.

I know I must be missing something fairly simple in the setup menu of either/both the 7005 or Oppo 983, but I have spent half the night trying to trouble shoot this issue and I am at my wits end. I can hear movies and cd's, but cant see the display on the screen. I have double checked that connections are snug and correct. Please help!!!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have upgraded from an 885 to the 7005 as well. I have a BDP-83 and did not have the same issues as you are having.

I must admit this sounds odd. The first obvious question is are you using the same HDMI out on the 93 that you were using with the 885. I know that they can be configured separately and did not know if the one you are using is just set up for audio.

Are you seeing the OSD when you are using the 93 and hearing the audio?
Have you set the 93 to output 720p or is it set to auto?
Did you set the output resolution on the 7005 to 720p for this input?

I don't do any scaling and try and passthrough all my sources untouched so my only experience similar is when I set my movie server to output 1080p/24 which my TV does not support and lost video until I reset it to 1080p/60.

If you have a laptop I would suggest doing all your settings through the prepro's web gui. This way if a setting does mess with your video you can change it back easily and also try each setting to see if you can get one to work.

R

rpr2

Audiophyte
I have upgraded from an 885 to the 7005 as well. I have a BDP-83 and did not have the same issues as you are having.

I must admit this sounds odd. The first obvious question is are you using the same HDMI out on the 93 that you were using with the 885. I know that they can be configured separately and did not know if the one you are using is just set up for audio.

Are you seeing the OSD when you are using the 93 and hearing the audio?
Have you set the 93 to output 720p or is it set to auto?
Did you set the output resolution on the 7005 to 720p for this input?

I don't do any scaling and try and passthrough all my sources untouched so my only experience similar is when I set my movie server to output 1080p/24 which my TV does not support and lost video until I reset it to 1080p/60.

If you have a laptop I would suggest doing all your settings through the prepro's web gui. This way if a setting does mess with your video you can change it back easily and also try each setting to see if you can get one to work.
Thanks Highlander for your ideas. Yes, I'd done all of those things. However, I'm happy to report that the last thing I tried, finally solved the problem. While playing the 983 I unplugged the Sony TV and plug it back in after about 20 seconds--- Picture!!! I guess the handshake was not completed between the Sony TV and the Oppo and that somehow fixed the issue. It's always something simple!!!

I haven't even begun to set up the audio yet on the 7005, but it sounds very nice even before tweaking. Do you prefer the 7005 to the 885 for audio? Can't wait to do some serious listening tonight. Thanks again.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Thanks Highlander for your ideas. Yes, I'd done all of those things. However, I'm happy to report that the last thing I tried, finally solved the problem. While playing the 983 I unplugged the Sony TV and plug it back in after about 20 seconds--- Picture!!! I guess the handshake was not completed between the Sony TV and the Oppo and that somehow fixed the issue. It's always something simple!!!
I'm glad it worked out for you and it was a simple solution.

I haven't even begun to set up the audio yet on the 7005, but it sounds very nice even before tweaking. Do you prefer the 7005 to the 885 for audio? Can't wait to do some serious listening tonight. Thanks again.
Hmm. I really liked the 885 and never had an issue with it. I have had some ground loop issues with the 7005 which took the fun out of the new purchase. I like all the features (pandora, audyssey dynamic eq) on the 7005 and it integrated easily with my control setup so that was a bonus. Sound wise I am still tweaking. I need to rerun Audyssey again as I feel like I'm missing something but I don't think it has anything to do with the 7005 vs. 885. I ran Audyssey several times on the 885 before I was happy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have no problem with any of my HDMI players (quite a few) and the only one I am having hand shaking issue is the Oppo 95. I can get around it by trying different things such as turning the display on and off but I should not have to put up with this.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Marantz. I think the issue is between my 95 and my Elite Pro-111 Kuro display. I am going to email Oppo about this. Actually when I first got the Marantz I did have issue but once I turned of HDMI control there has been no issue between the Marantz and the Kuro, until the Oppo shows up.

R

rpr2

Audiophyte
I'm glad it worked out for you and it was a simple solution.

Hmm. I really liked the 885 and never had an issue with it. I have had some ground loop issues with the 7005 which took the fun out of the new purchase. I like all the features (pandora, audyssey dynamic eq) on the 7005 and it integrated easily with my control setup so that was a bonus. Sound wise I am still tweaking. I need to rerun Audyssey again as I feel like I'm missing something but I don't think it has anything to do with the 7005 vs. 885. I ran Audyssey several times on the 885 before I was happy.
I loved the 885 digital audio sound. I like the 7005 better-- especially analogue music-- very nice! I have a slight hum in each channel which I hear only in silence, never with source material. I have the Parasound A52 amp which has a ground lift switch, but it has had no effect at all on the hum. I have an HTPC/music server connected to the 7005 via hdmi and optical. I think the fan from the HTPC is the culprit,but I won't take it out of my system, so I'm not sure how to address it. How do you trouble shoot gound loop issues? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have had some ground loop issues with the 7005 which took the fun out of the new purchase. I like all the features (pandora, audyssey dynamic eq) on the 7005 and it integrated easily with my control setup so that was a bonus. Sound wise I am still tweaking. I need to rerun Audyssey again as I feel like I'm missing something but I don't think it has anything to do with the 7005 vs. 885. I ran Audyssey several times on the 885 before I was happy.
Are you still getting that hum? Can you not exchange it for another one? I can tell you I have now tried my AV7005 on 4 different amps. There is a small potential difference between it and any one of them, higher with one and lower with the other but in each case I could not hear any noise unless I cranked the volume to almost maximum with my ear touching the speaker grille. To me, if you have hooked everything up properly and have all your interconnects and speaker wires away from any power cords, you should not hear any hum with the volume at say 0 and sitting even a few inches away from the speakers. If you do, there must be something wrong with the unit.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Are you still getting that hum? Can you not exchange it for another one? I can tell you I have now tried my AV7005 on 4 different amps. There is a small potential difference between it and any one of them, higher with one and lower with the other but in each case I could not hear any noise unless I cranked the volume to almost maximum with my ear touching the speaker grille. To me, if you have hooked everything up properly and have all your interconnects and speaker wires away from any power cords, you should not hear any hum with the volume at say 0 and sitting even a few inches away from the speakers. If you do, there must be something wrong with the unit.
I did get a second one and it was much much worse. It had a huge amount of static from the right channel. I had them sitting side by side and just switching cables back and forth so it was not a wiring issue.

After all the snow melts I am getting someone out to add some kind of grounding system and check all my electrical wiring. I do feel these Marantz units are much more sensitive to grounding issues over the Onkyo it replaces. I moved all my cables and even swapped out the power cord that came with the Marantz and in the end I have to get closer than 1 foot to hear any noise and you do not hear anything during a movie.

Now one other thing that was done during my upgrade was the installation of a middle atlantic rack. All the gear is now bolted to a common rail. I did pull the unit to see if it was the rack and the noise was the same but the Onkyo was never bolted in the rack so I do not know if it would have been as quiet in the same setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have had some ground loop issues with the 7005 which took the fun out of the new purchase.
I feel your pain, bro.

Did you ever try the $2 Wal-Mart cheater plug to confirm the ground loop issue?

If you try that cheater plug and the hum is completely gone, then you know 100% that it is ground loop. If the hum is still there with the cheater plug, then it's probably not ground loop.

I think $2 is worth the try.:D

It's actually $2 for a set of 2 cheater plugs.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I feel your pain, bro.

Did you ever try the $2 Wal-Mart cheater plug to confirm the ground loop issue?

If you try that cheater plug and the hum is completely gone, then you know 100% that it is ground loop. If the hum is still there with the cheater plug, then it's probably not ground loop.

I think $2 is worth the try.:D

It's actually $2 for a set of 2 cheater plugs.:D
I hate to tell you but the cheater plug shouldn't make any difference because the Marantz does not have a ground prong to begin with, didn't we cover that before?:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
in the end I have to get closer than 1 foot to hear any noise and you do not hear anything during a movie.
That's sounds not too bad then. What volume level, when you can hear noise from 1 foot? Not that it matters but I am curious about your case. By the way, after the recent FW update, video upscaling seems to perform better but I am not sure if it is just Placebo at work. Did you notice any improvement after the update?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
That's sounds not too bad then. What volume level, when you can hear noise from 1 foot? Not that it matters but I am curious about your case. By the way, after the recent FW update, video upscaling seems to perform better but I am not sure if it is just Placebo at work. Did you notice any improvement after the update?
If the room is dead quiet I can hear it from less than 2 feet. The noise is not volume dependent. It makes the same hiss not matter how high I crank it up or turn it down.

I have not really watched any SD material or much of anything in the theater the last couple of weeks. Ski season is winding down so I am at the mountain whenever I have free time. I did the the FW update last week so I will try and see if I can tell any difference. Being as long as it has been I probably will not be able to tell any difference.:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis