Setup/Operate Surround Receivers/Player w/o TV?

H

hiker54

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I have been thinking about upgrading to multi channel/surround sound on my AUDIO ONLY (no TV available) system.
Utilizing:
Receiver &nbsp; Yamaha RX-Z1
Player &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Denon DVD-2900 Universal Player.

Is it possible to properly configure and operate these units without the aid of a TV monitor? Any suggestions?

Thanks</font>

H

hiker54

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Well,

First Yamaha doesn't reply. Then Denon doesn't reply. Now nothing from Audioholics. Either everyone is stumped or this is considered a really dumb question???

Hiker54</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>Can't you temporarily hook up a TV? You're talking about $3000-$4000 worth of equipment and you can't locate a $99 TV?

It's much easier to set up via OSD. The front panels give you some feedback, but I'm not sure how well the Denon setup will work without a TV. The Yamaha should be fine.</font>

H

hiker54

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Hawke,

I can't be the only &quot;Audioholic&quot; who has zero interest in video. A local dealer has suggested that I take both pieces to a friend's house and set them up there. But doesn't day to day operation require some tweeking? It seems overkill to have to buy a TV to setup an audio only system. (It's not the money).

Hiker54</font>

<font color='#000080'>You don't want to set speaker levels and such at your friends house. These are 'A/V' receivers, not 'A/A' receivers, so you can see that they are marketed to and design for people with video capabilities.

And you may indeed be able to set these units up from the front panels - I'm just not in a position to say - maybe Gene will chime in if he has time. You have a valid point - we've just gotten so advanced that we may have exceeded the limitations of front panels being enough.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis