Setup help foot finished basement

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Hi guys
I need some assistance with speaker placement and SVS speaker type. Already decided SVS Ultra 16 subwoofer (not sure sealed or ported though)

Would like 7.1 with atmos center heights

Thanks
Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.49.48 PM.png

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
We need more info to help you out. Specifically a budget for the speakers. We could recommend a full on SVS Ultra package, but if your budget is $2k for the speakers, that obviously won't work...

As for the sub, get the ported if you have the space for it.

Edited to add:

Play around with the SVS system builder tool here, I'd recommend the Prime pinnacles for your fronts and the ultra center if your budget allows.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
We need more info to help you out. Specifically a budget for the speakers. We could recommend a full on SVS Ultra package, but if your budget is $2k for the speakers, that obviously won't work...

Edited to add:

Play around with the SVS system builder tool here, I'd recommend the Prime pinnacles for your fronts and the ultra center if your budget allows.

I was figuring I needed approx $8500 for TV, AVR, Speakers

What AVR? - was thinking Denon or Marantz - I have the Marantz now upstairs with SVS ultras and PS16 Ultra Sub, but in a much smaller room

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Fred. Is this for a second room? Seems like you’ve been down this road with us before lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't put the couch up against the wall if I could avoid it....and seems that the room is generally open so probably the ported sub (or more than one). Seems you could go for the Ultra speaker line....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
$8500
TV - $1500
Subwoofers - $2700 (2-PB-3000)
AVR + Amps - $1500 (Denon 3600 + 2 Outlaw 2220)
Speakers - $2800 (Prime Pinnacles Towers, Center, Bookshelfs, and Elevations) puts budget $50 over

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't put the couch up against the wall if I could avoid it....and seems that the room is generally open so probably the ported sub (or more than one). Seems you could go for the Ultra speaker line....
Unfortunately I have no choice but to put the sofa close to wall - those are boxed out support beams in center of room :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately I have no choice but to put the sofa close to wall - those are boxed out support beams in center of room :(
The curse of actually using rooms, to get in the way of good acoustics! :) I was guessing that wall was due supports....have one in the middle of my basement or it might be a theater by now.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
$8500
TV - $1500
Subwoofers - $2700 (2-PB-3000)
AVR + Amps - $1500 (Denon 3600 + 2 Outlaw 2220)
Speakers - $2800 (Prime Pinnacles Towers, Center, Bookshelfs, and Elevations) puts budget $50 over
Was looking to get the 77" LG CX 4K TV - at $3400
Only 1 Ultra16 Sub I think is good :)
Looking at the ULTRA Package with added Elevations for ATMOS
For the AVR - just the DENON - will this be enough? (Save some coin here)

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic

Edited to add:

Where and how would I exactly mount the ultra surrounds given the couch against the wall and now I’m thinking of doing 4 elevations for atmos heights.

Do I mount the ultras flat against side walls or angle them towards listener?

Also I need to mount them higher above ear level as it is a walk thru area

Thanks

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Where and how would I exactly mount the ultra surrounds given the couch against the wall and now I’m thinking of doing 4 elevations for atmos heights.

Do I mount the ultras flat against side walls or angle them towards listener?

Also I need to mount them higher above ear level as it is a walk thru area

Thanks
Honestly, I'd just go with regular bookshelves for surrounds. There are a number of wall mounted clamps you can use for them so that you can position them where you want and at the angle you want. If you're going to do an atmos layer, you don't want to put the surrounds up high as they won't play well with atmos layer then.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
NIN is totally right Fred. If you have to mount the surrounds above ear level, your Atmos immersion and object placement will be compromised greatly. Do you have any pics?

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic

The columns here will be Sheetrock

The far wall where the fireplace is, tv will be there

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So with all things being equal what is the best placement for atmos heights? (4 of them)

High up on the side walls or on the ceiling above listener?

Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis