Setup for large shop

B

BrowningC

Audiophyte
Wasn't sure where to post this. I am looking for a decent setup for a 30x50 shop. I would like to buy the speakers and build my own enclosures. Kinda diy project. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's a DIY subforum....to start I'd check out diysoundgroup.com

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Either way, it’s hard to make recommendations without a budget.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I’d say a PA system from JBL or Yamaha would be the best

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Wasn't sure where to post this. I am looking for a decent setup for a 30x50 shop. I would like to buy the speakers and build my own enclosures. Kinda diy project. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

How high is the ceiling and how much of the place is hard surfaces. If it's all hard surfaces, the last thing you want is high power and only a few speakers. In that case, you want a lot of speakers distributed throughout the place and less power per channel, so the SPL where you need sound is sufficient, but not excessive. That way, the sound doesn't bounce as long. If people work along the walls, place the speakers so they face the corner where the floor and wall meet- these surfaces will reflect the sound, making it a more efficient way to get the sound to the location, but the reflected sound won't travel as far as if it were blasting toward a wall at high SPL, from a longer distance.

I prefer using multi-channel amplifiers for this kind of job if I'm not using 70Volt speakers and amplifiers.

I did a fitness facility with eight 8" in-ceiling speakers, a Behringer 15 band equalizer with sub crossover, a multi-channel amp for the in-ceiling speakers and a separate amp for the subwoofer. Every channel has level adjustment capability an the equalizer has a subwoofer level control. It's larger than your place, but very similar. The one thing I wish the equalizer had is a high pass crossover, but that can be done with FMod plugs, from Harrison. This system doesn't use 70Volt speakers and amplifiers- the speakers are 8 Ohms

I installed another system with eight 8" in-ceiling speakers and the same model of JBL sub in a school gym- the sub is 8 Ohms, the in-ceiling speakers are 70V, with one Crown CDi1000 power amp, which handles the crossovers, equalization, level balancing, limiting, and low/high impedance speaker connections. The gym has a full-size basketball court with about 15' of floor space bordering, as well as a stage at one end. Neither has excessive reverberation at most listening levels, but at the size of both and the materials used, it's almost impossible to avoid this at higher SPL.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis