Setup for a large room?

E

entropy

Audiophyte
I am looking for a system that will fill a 16 x 19 room with hardwood floors and a 18 ft cathedral ceiling. I currently own a Onkyo DR-C500 5.1 system. It is just not doing the job of filing the room with sound, especially with the center speaker.

My other components consist of a 46" Samsung DLP TV and a Sony DVP-NC665P 5 disc DVD player. Everything is hooked up through S-Video and Optical Digital Audio Cable.

Do you guys think this setup will do the job?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rwU8bK0Jix9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=13&*=131000&I=580TXSR502&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

Thanks

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
GET a RUG on that floor.

And some curtains or something on the windows.

That will help with toning down the brightness of the room, both acousitcally and visually. ;) Might even make it look like someone lives their. I take it you are single ;)

I am not familiar with the speakers in that system, is that a HTiB system? Do you have a sub? If not that would certainly help.

E

entropy

Audiophyte
yes the onkyo is a htib, i plan on keeping the 100w 8" sub that came with it

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
Have you tried placing the sub in other parts of the room?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You may want to try upgrading the speakers first. I was amazed at how much more sound I got out of my cheapie Kenwood receiver (HTIB: Sams Club: $300.00) when I connected my Definitive BP-30 speakers to it instead of the small speakers that came with the package.

I almost didn't bother switching out to a new receiver because of how robust the sound in the room had become with just some better speakers.

If you are watching your pennies, then maybe trying out the best speakers you can afford now, then waiting and buying a really nice receiver down the road may suit you even better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis