lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When you set the sub level the Audyssey/avr setup generally wants you to put it near 75dB before proceeding. They're not all the same, tho. Don't combine the recommendations for the avr on it's own with unrelated input from SVS. Generally you don't want the avr to have a setting of greater than -15 (or -12 depending on avr) for the sub, as that's an indication your gain/volume level on the sub itself is set too high. Generally you would re-run the program and reduce gain on the sub first....

Last edited:
B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
thanks for the help i will give it another try on saturday. 12 hr. work shifts get in the way lol

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I see a switch labeled "high level in" / "lfe in" so you have a couple of options. You can use a RCA splitter and feed the subwoofer out (LFE) from the AVR to both the new sub and the towers. If the front firing subwoofers in the towers can't keep up with the separate sub or do not integrate well, you can always switch the amp off on the towers.

The "high level in" should be a speaker connection. Other option is to connect the LFE channel to just the new sub. Then connect the speaker terminals to the high level in (and change the switch setting) and effectively run the towers full range. Setting the speakers to large or small in the AVR will control how much low frequency content they get.

I would probably opt for the first option. Get the new sub at a volume level you like and then dial in the tower subs to smooth things out. With a single sub you can get standing waves at certain frequencies which can create locations in the room where the bass is boomy or lacking. Having multiple subs reduces those issues. The challenge with those towers is that they can not be moved around very much, while a separate sub can be moved around to work better with the room acoustics.
thanks for your help i have connected the towers to the sub out they seem to work well with the sub

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis