setting my subs crossover

R

Rick

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Should I have the crossover on my sub set as high as it can go?(150hz) I'm running all speakers set to &quot;large&quot; and I'm afraid that I'll lose LFE content if I don't set my subs crossover all the way up. I'm about 50/50 music/hometheater, but I don't want to make 2 channel sources seem to outrageously bassy if I have the crossover set to high. Thanks</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
We need a little more info
What speakers and procesor are you using?
If you are using the internal crossover on the receiver
or pre amp and it is set up correctly then your sub X-over
should be set to bypass or its highest level to prevent
X-over cascading &nbsp;You must be aware of your system
and do you really have full range speakers to set them to the large setting My front mains extend down to around 28Hz
I set them to small as they are not &quot;Full Range&quot; speakers
Please read the system set up guide on the front page and read this thread for more info
http://www.audioholics.com/cgi-bin....10;t=58</font>

R

Rick

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I'm using a Denon AVR 3802 and Clements 206 mains, a Clements 466 center and Clements 106 for the surrounds. I've got a B.I.C. sealed 1010 downfiring sub. &nbsp;I prefer the localization when all channels are set to large. &nbsp;I also have the option on my receiver (sub mode) where I can output just the LFE from the sub or I can add 80hz and below from all channels to the sub in addition to the LFE. I've been toying around with that (LFE + Mains) and trying to adjust the crossover on the sub down to about 95hz. That way I should have all bases covered, right?

For as much as I agree with setting all speakers to small, &nbsp;it just doesn't work as well for me for music as it does home theater. Maybe I just need to tweak and experiment more</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Rick;

I am also not a fan of setting my main speakers small. &nbsp;I feel if your main speakers are reasonably flat down to about 35Hz, they should be set large. &nbsp;When phased properly with a musical sub, the overall response, although may have a bump around 35Hz, will seem to blend better at the transition band of the subwoofer. &nbsp;Your alternative may be to set the mains to large in two channel, and small when listening to 5.1 channel DD/DTS.</font>

R

Rick

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I always thought it would be a great feature if your receiver memorized speaker settings (large or small)for individual sources, i.e. cd, dvd etc...</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
sorry have to disagree I bet dollars to donuts
that a very good subwoofer is a better bass reproducer than
a very good speaker below 70Hz if placed and calibrated properly.If you dont like the way your subwoofer sounds &nbsp;if calibrated to this configuration then Its time to either get a new sub or work on placement &nbsp;2 channel,multichannel
should not make a difference
Cheers Ray</font>

R

Rick

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>What I've been experimenting with lately is the LFE + Mains setting on my Receiver. &nbsp;What it does (according to the manual) is output the low bass frequency of any speaker set to &quot;large&quot; through the sub without cutting it from that individual channel/speaker. (Only in D.D. or DTS) This way, I feel I'm not losing anything from any speaker, yet I'm having the sub do the majority of the work below 80hz. &nbsp; &nbsp;

&nbsp; &nbsp; Unfortunately, I'm very limited in how I can configure my room, so I have my rear projection TV kiddie-corner in the room, and the sub is placed in the corner behind the TV. So better placement of my sub isn't really an option. &nbsp;I'm just trying to tweak the sound the best way I can with the limited and screwy shaped room I've got.

Seeing as I use the LFE + Mains setting on the Denon AVR 3802, should I still have my crossover set as high as it can go(150hz)on the sub?

Comments?? Opinions?? Please.

Thanks!</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis