Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
After reading a couple of different articles on Audioholics, I decided to try a new set-up. The articles were (Setting the sub) & (Marriage BTW sub & towers).

I have a Yamaha RX-V1400. I had the crossover set @ 80hz. I had the LFE/BASS OUT set to BOTH.

I changed the crossover point to 60hz. I set the LFE/BASS OUT to SWFR. My mains go down to 33hz & are 6.5's, but my receiver options go from 40hz to 60hz & up. So I felt 60 was as low as I wanted to push it.

You would not believe the bass improvement. It just keeps getting better. I love this site! :D
Thanks Gene!

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
Awesome, zumbo! The best kind of upgrade - free. How long did you have it set up the other way?

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
Zumbo- I am going to try the same tonight as I have a similar setup. I assume YPAO initially set your LFE to "sub only"? I have large polk towers, that YPAO identified as larger, but still set the LFE out to Sub only. I apparently made a mistake by setting it to "both".

One other question. Do you find that whatever the Sub level is set at in the receiver works for both movies and music, or do you adjust? Thanks!!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
gregz, I had it set that way for about four months.

darthkringle, I ran YPAO about four months ago and it set my MB Quarts to large. I changed it to small. I also changed the sub setting to both because it seemed to sound better that way. Turns out, I should have had my crossover set lower. I now skip some parts of YPAO. I have speakers set to small. I let it set the volume for speakers & sub. I set the volume on the sub before running YPOA to 2/3. I am just not comfortable with it set to max like the manual states. I leave it set there for movies & 2-channel stereo. This setting is subject to change, & may not be right for you, but it is kicking at the moment. :D

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
Zumbo- All of this makes sense for what I'm going to do tonight except I would love some clarification:

If I have Polk towers (yes I know, wishing for Axiom) that I usually call large, am I better off setting as small for HT w/a Polk PSW505 sub?

Your comment about the manual stating to turn the volume all the way up, for the 2400 it says to turn the CROSS OVER all the way up, but the volume to half way correct?

Thanks for your guidance.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Oops! It does say half way on the sub volume. Good thing I only have it set 2/3. I probably had it set to half when I set-up YPAO, and needed it louder one day. Must have forgot to cut it back down. Oh well, sounds good @ 2/3. LOL.

I would think to set your speakers to small. I am pretty sure if you set the crossover @60hz your towers will play 60hz & above. Let the sub handle the rest. What model Polks do you have? In my experience, Polks don't care too much for bass.

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
Zumbo- I have the Polk Rti100's. The manual "says" they go to 35Hz. Stupid question, would the Axiom M60's be a "Substantial" upgrade?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Don't those towers have powered subs? Do you have an extra powered sub?

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
Oops, fat fingered that, I have the RTi10's. w/a PSW 505 sub

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Try the crossover @ 40hz. Try at small. It should still send above 40hz to the mains.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It looks to me that you have lots of options on set-up because of the broad range of specs on your speakers. It will just take some listening & trying new things. Let your ears decide what works best for you. Looking in my manual, it seems I should have my system set-up the way I had it at first. But, after reading the articles I mentioned, I tried the new set-up. It worked out for me. :)

If those are the Polks I heard in a store one day, & I think they are, they do not like bass as much as one would think. :confused: I bet it will sound it's best set like mine. SMALL, 60hz, SWFR

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis