tenerifepaul

tenerifepaul

Audioholic Intern
I have just moved home to the UAE and admidst the mayhem my AV set up got a little screwed up.

I have a new Sony Bravia KLV 46X200A, which is great:

I have a Denon AV3805, and a Panasonic DMR-EH55, DVD recorder, and B&W 703's, ASW700, HTM7,

I would like to connect via HDMI, and have blueray possibility . Neither the Panasonic or the Denon have HDMI connections, so I want to replace both (I have buyers for them). Whilst I appreciate the 3805 is highly rated, I never got on with it...........I always thought there was too much going on and I would prefer soemthing simpler.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Does your new TV support "deep color" / HDMI 1.3? Will your new blue-ray player also support these standards? Does anything else that you have support for deep color?

Basically make sure you know what version of HDMI you need to have your equipment support and go with that. If there are any specific other features that you want I'd make sure your receiver of choice can handle those also.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm a newb here but there are links on other AV forums that I've seen for "future proof" recievers. If you're interested I'll pass them along.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
That site only lists that the set supports HDMI and not what revision or exactly which features of HDMI may be fully supported.

If you're not sure I'd either look through a detailed product manual or set of specifications to see what version of HDMI it supported and if it supports "deep color". Calling Sony would always be a possibility if you're not sure how to do the above ....

If your TV doesn't support deep color then [I suspect] all that you'll need is a good receiver with good HDMI 1.1 support [where it can properly manage the incoming multi-channel PCM streams]

jinjuku

jinjuku

Could you post a link so I can read up on "deep color". I guess I could google for it, but thought you might have a well written article to link to... Thx.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Could you post a link so I can read up on "deep color". I guess I could google for it, but thought you might have a well written article to link to... Thx.
I didn't have a specific "deep color" article in mind. To summarize my limited understanding of the issue:

1. Regular old HDMI on 1080P uses 8 bits for red, 8 for blue, 8 for green for each pixel on screen.

2. Deep color allows you to use 10, 12, or [potentially] 16 bits for each of the color channels. Theoretically if you have source material that supports deep color and a display that supports it then you should see less banding esp. in dark areas. Some will say that, not counting banding, that you'll get a more accurate set of colors. This would be true on high-end equipment that is professionally callibrated and supports this standard. I would think that for "joe user" the banding/blocking issues would be all that they'd notice.

3. Deep color is supported with the latest HDMI 1.3 spec.

Some articles that may be of use:
Future Proof Receiver Discussion
HDMI 1.3 discussion thread
Extreme Tech's short article on Deep Color
HDMI Press Release on Deep Color

Please note some info in the threads could be out-of-date but they are good reads to start off with .... Everyone may be better off just googling themselves ...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Another article which might help is the new one on the AH main page. It explains the bandwidth differences between HDMI 1.3 and previous versions also delving into the world of Deep Color. It is less than a week old so rather applicable :).

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/hdmi-1-3-cables-bitrate

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis