SERIOUS Popping problems from Onkyo TX-SR602

N

Nall-ohki

Audiophyte
I just bought a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver from JR.com (Authorized Onkyo dealer).

I'm using Onkyo SKS-HT240 speakers, without the rear center channel (so it's a 5.1 setup).

The unit arrived in great shape - not a mark on it.

I have only two things hooked up to it:

- Playstation 2 in SVideo 1 (Analog input)
- Computer (Mini-jack -> converter -> Analog CD input)

I set it up, hooked everything in, did the setup, everything worked great... until... the pops.

It started when I was using the computer... an occasional loud pop at about +5 to +10 Db of what I was listening to, not at high volume.

Then, it sounded like somebody had set off a string of firecrackers in all 5 speakers. This continued for about 5-6 seconds and then disappeared.

I was freaked out to say the least.

The second time, I was playing a PS2 title, again at low-medium volume, and the same thing happened. I ended up turning the receiver off.

The last time, I went on the web researching with NO real input going (but set to Video 1), and the same thing happened - a series of firecracker-like sounds going off.

I turned the receiver off.

I've researched, and the most I can find as possible causes are these:
- Interferance caused by some input to the receiver (power outlet, computer, or PS2)
- A bad receiver

I ordered this online, and I could probably return it, but I want to eliminate the possibility of an interferance problem before I do so.

Additionally, there is an authorised Onkyo service center 3 blocks from my house, but I haven't been able to get a hold of them today.

Any advice on what I should do to figure this out?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Troubleshooting time.

First off, try it with a CD/DVD player going through the digital input.

Second, when you say + 5 or +10 levels, this seems quite high, at least when comparing it to my Denon, which NEVER needs to be above 0.

Third, there could possibly be something wrong with it. Try # 1, go through the standard setup procedures, listen to a movie at comfortable levels and see what happens.

N

Nall-ohki

Audiophyte
markw said:
Second, when you say + 5 or +10 levels, this seems quite high, at least when comparing it to my Denon, which NEVER needs to be above 0.
Thanks for replying!

I think I was unclear on this - I'm saying that the popping sound is about 5 to 10 Decibles louder than what I was listening to, and is affected by the volume slider.

N

Nall-ohki

Audiophyte
Looks bad

I cannot reproduce the problem on the digital port, however, I found that after the popping started, it did cease even after I disconnected all analog connections. I'm pretty sure that there's something wrong with the receiver at this point.

If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Edit:
Scratch that. I just had the same thing happen with the optical port.

N

Nall-ohki

Audiophyte
Leprkon said:
unfortunately, several people have reported similar problems with Onkyo x02 series receivers..

see this link

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7902&highlight=onkyo

and here:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8187&highlight=602

some people may try to explain it away as a set-up problem, but it seems to occur pretty often.

Thank you for your help. I've seen one of those before, but I still wanted to believe that it wasn't the problem - it appears that it is. I'm going to get a return authorization tomorrow and see how it goes.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I had virtually the same thing happen with my tx-sr602. It was also a refurb. However, mine didn't seem significantly louder than what I was listening to. It also seemed to be affected by adjusting the volume knob. I returned mine and got another and have had no problems at all with the replacement, so hope the restores some faith that you can get a decent one.

N

Nall-ohki

Audiophyte
corysmith01 said:
I had virtually the same thing happen with my tx-sr602. It was also a refurb. However, mine didn't seem significantly louder than what I was listening to. It also seemed to be affected by adjusting the volume knob. I returned mine and got another and have had no problems at all with the replacement, so hope the restores some faith that you can get a decent one.
That's somewhat encouraging to hear - I really like the unit... it just sucks that it has this problem.

Thank you much!

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Sounds like a bad volume control. It often occurs when they get contaminated with dust. Usually the noise is worsened when the volume is adjusted. If it just pops out of the blue when no adjustments are made, I'd take it in, or send it back.

T

trhalma

Enthusiast
i had a 502 from jr. after about 2 weeks the center ch started to crackle, then completely dropped out. it would crackle and come back periodically. jr was great, i sent it back, they sent me a prepaid shipping label, even though i was slightly beyond the 14 day return limit. i thought maybe i had a stray strand of spk wire, but could find none. reconnecting did not help.
i loved the unit, but the more research i did, there seemed to be quite a number of refurbs out there for 502s and 602s for a 2004 model, so i did not order another onkyo.
ps- i did talk to a local certified repair dealer in pa, and they told me they would still send the unit to the regional facility in syracuse, so i'm not sure how much benefit you will get from being so close to the repair shop.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis