serious listening??

S

singhal2

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>i have been researching a lot about which speakers to buy( i have decided to go for the mission m 72 though)....and on most of the websites and other forums, i came across this very popular statement &quot; don't buy (xx) brand of speakers for serious listening , they are okay for movies and background music&quot;.........what i wud like someone to explain to me is what is this &quot;serious listening &quot; that everyone seems to be talking about..........

singhal2</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>It is a pretty vague statement, to me what is good for music should also be good for movies and vice versa. After all in movies or music, it is the sheer realism that we pursue and expect from speakers.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I guess &quot;serious listening&quot; is when you put on your smoking jacket and sit around with your friends sipping Perrier and take turns making up new terms, er, I mean dissecting the performance into audiophool-approved terms (eg PRaT, action, bloom, etc). &nbsp;During the exercise, the point is to demonstrate that you can hear lots of things that ordinary wool-eared &nbsp;music fans (as opposed to audiophiles) can't hear. &nbsp;Even if said qualities only exist in your head.

Alternate definition: &nbsp;any time spent knocking back a few brews with a couple of good friends while listening to the Clancy Brothers &amp; Tommy Makem!</font>

<font color='#000080'>Haha... I'd define it as any time spent wanted to focus in and really listen to the detail in a piece of music. This is as opposed to just partying or playing it as BGM.

I would say I usually do serious listening a) when I first buy a new piece of music, and 2) when I'm reviewing gear.

I can see how the term could be construed as audiophool doublespeak, though...</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rob Babcock : <font color='#000000'>I guess &quot;serious listening&quot; is when you put on your smoking jacket and sit around with your friends sipping Perrier and take turns making up new terms, er, I mean dissecting the performance into audiophool-approved terms (eg PRaT, action, bloom, etc).  During the exercise, the point is to demonstrate that you can hear lots of things that ordinary wool-eared  music fans (as opposed to audiophiles) can't hear.  Even if said qualities only exist in your head.

Alternate definition:  any time spent knocking back a few brews with a couple of good friends while listening to the Clancy Brothers &amp; Tommy Makem!</font>
<font color='#000000'>
Very good!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis