Seeking advice: Onkyo TSR 600 vs. Pioneer VSX D811

A

Ak2002

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I'm in the same boat as an earlier post by rpr for a budget receiver under 400.  I am trying to decide between the following 2 receivers:
Onkyo TXSR 600 vs.
Pioneer VSX D811 (not generally known for its receivers - but if this was an Onkyo I wouldn't have waited to lap up this unbelievably feature rich receiver)

Other options I looked are Marantz 4200 and Denon AVR 1x02 but I've ruled them out for some reason or another

I'm leaning towards the Pioneer (around $300) vs. the Onkyo (around $400) both for richness of Pioneer's features and price.  I know I can't go wrong with the Onkyo but still...

Please tell me if I'm insane...am I missing something?  Has someone compared these side by side? Will be connecting this receiver to Onkyo HKTS 500 speaker system

Thanx in advance</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I am considering the Onkyo TX-SR600, too, but not sure if they are able to power 4-ohm speakers all around. I am planning on getting a set of BG Radia Speakers, the front, rear, and center are all 4-ohms. Can anybody tell me if the Onkyo receiver would be able to drive it ? if not would there be any other Onkyo or Harmon Kardon receiver that can do the job ?? I am interested in those 2 brands because I get discounts from circuit city...
Your help would be much appreciated</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi The VSX D811 is a good bang for the buck receiver
I would also look at the Panasonic HE 200
I am a little leary about the low end Onkyo &nbsp;there amp sections were advertised at more than twice the power of there acual bench test

For the B&amp;G Radia I dont think either would be a good choice
if you are going the receiver route for them look for a receiver with pre main outs so you can add a high power amp
to drive the Left and Right front &nbsp;this may be done later as
long as you take it easy on the receiver my pick would be a HK for these speakers
Cheers Ray</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>thanks for the advice. but what model for the harmon kardon receiver would you recommend ? I am looking to spend under or around $1000.</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi I missunderstood
I thought we were talking about receivers in the $300-$400
price range ?
Under $1000 &nbsp;You can find HK 525 &nbsp;for about $800 you would not need the amp with this receiver It has a very High Current Amp allready &nbsp;a very nice warm sounding receiver
Cheers Ray</font>

A

Ak2002

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Doesn't the Onko 600 come with a built in amplifier as well? &nbsp;Isn't this High Currrent Amp a strong point for Onkyo Technology?

Which HK is available under 400?</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Doesn't the Onko 600 come with a built in amplifier as well? &nbsp;Isn't this High Currrent Amp a strong point for Onkyo Technology?

Well keep in mind the Marketing aspect here
The Last &nbsp;TSRX series of Onkyo had calimed high current
amps and when they were tested they came in way below there claimed spec If I recall it was the 600 series that was tested &nbsp;claimed 85wpc all chanel driven and came in on the bench at 34wpc &nbsp;The HK most often is very conservitive
on the amp specs
It seems as though I am replying to two different people here
one wants an entry level receiver the Pioneer is decent
the other wants a receiver to driva Radia I suggjested the HK to him &nbsp;but if you want to look at a sub $400 HK look at the
HK125 it is &nbsp;high current and also carries Logic 7 processing
Cheers Ray</font>

A

Ak2002

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>What about the Pioneer? &nbsp;It is rated at 100 W per channel. &nbsp;Also I went against my gut (for the Pioneer) and ordered the Onkyo. &nbsp;Haven't got it yet. &nbsp;Wondering if I should get the Pioneer also - listen to both and then return one...

Any thoughts/ideas?</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
The Onkyo will be a great receiver as long as you are not trying to drive low impedance inefficient speakers
The Pioneer is not suited for speakers of this type either &nbsp;The HK is suited for this &nbsp;type of speaker
because of its amplifier design &nbsp;I hope I haven't confused you &nbsp;
Ray</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>hi,

thanks for all the advice...
i am sorry for all the confusion... there are two people.. i am the one trying to find a receiver for the radias.
anyways... so the HK525 would be good enough without a extra amp? is it capable of bi-wiring? also i notice that a lot of the HK receivers are made in china these days, is that a problem??

one last question... i am also looking at the wharfedale emerald 99 from ubid. what setup would u recommend on that ? (as for the receiver, and the rears and center... i was considering getting emerald 99 for the front emerald 97 for the rears and a emerald center... but those are hard to come by since they are discontinue.) what are your opinions for the wharfedale emeralds?

thanks in advance</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>For the person looking for a HK receiver to drive a 4ohm
speaker set, i just bought a HK520 (last years model) for
$530 shipped from onecall.com. &nbsp;It has preamp lines for
all the channels for an external amp. &nbsp;I think the major
diff b/w that model and the new 525 was DD 6.1, maybe
something else also. &nbsp;but for the price, it was hard to beat.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers